• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New gallery app

I use QuickPic. I've used it for years, when it was sold last year the new company added cloud backup, but you don't have to activate it.
A lot of users were upset when it was sold, but the app hasn't changed that much.

I gave QuickPic a try and it's doing to much. I'm really looking for the most basic gallery app ever created. All I want is to see the pictures/videos on my phone. . I don't want them sorted into pictures, screenshot, downloads, etc.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0
A lot of users were upset when it was sold, but the app hasn't changed that much.
That may be a bit of an understatement. Needs to be noted that QuickPic is now owned by Cheetah Mobile, and that when you install one of CM's apps you also install various 'background' processes that stay in contact with some remote server in China. (Cheetah Mobile headquarters are in Beijing.)
It's not that Cheetah Mobile isn't putting out some really good apps, it's just that you have to pay more attention to the required 'Permissions' for any CM app. For something like QuickPik, if you really like it, be sure to also use something like NetGuard, a software firewall. NetGuard will allow you to selectively block any CM background process from WiFi and cellular connectivity.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard&hl=en

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones