• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Gmail client for Android

does this replace the current gmail app on my phone? Why wouldnt it just update it to the new one like other apps??

I've installed the new GMail and initially it showed as an install not an update. However, I can find no trace of the original GMail app now which I believe was integrated in the OS by HTC, so I'm guessing that it has replaced it. Nevertheless, like the Flash 10.1 update, it does eat up a bit of extra phone memory (although only a couple of mb, not the 15ish taken up by the non integrated Flash).

Steve.

Upvote 0
does this replace the current gmail app on my phone? Why wouldnt it just update it to the new one like other apps??

When you install it, it treats it as an update to the native Google Mail app and replaces the Google Mail icon in all apps and add an app with the new Gmail one. To reflect this on your homepages you will need to remove the Google Mail one, then add the Gmail one.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just got install unsucessful. Is that what you got?

Yep kept getting that all last night and this morning. Tried clearing the cache etc but didn't work. Found this uninstaller on XDA ran it in recovery and then installed the apk from above in this thread and worked first time :D

Not had much of a chance to play with it yet but looks ok and works well so far.

Upvote 0
Installed the update OK, but it then would not receive any new emails, even after doing a manual refresh. Uninstalled and reverted to the stock version, and all is working OK again. Is anyone else unable to receive new emails with the new version of Gmail?

All is working fine here and instead of waiting 14 seconds (on average) to receive and email, it's down to 6 seconds!! :)

Upvote 0
Encouraged by the fact that some are receiving new emails OK, I tried installing the 2.3 update again but, same as last time, I receive no new emails. Noticed that when trying to do a manual refresh, there is no indication of data activity on the status bar.

So have uninstalled it and reverted to stock version again, which is working fine. And doing a manual refresh shows the sync icon + some data activity.

Tried a few obvious things, like rebooting the phone, but no improvement. If anyone has any suggestions of why it may not work, then I'd be pleased to hear.

One point - my account uses a googlemail.com account rather than gmail.com. Don't know whether that may be making a difference?

This is a tad annoying, I must say!

Upvote 0
Would this update solve the cut off of messages that I sometimes experience ? Sometimes my messages end with a "..." and there seems to be no way to get to the full message.

Another annoyance I have: I use multiple "from" e-mail addresses. GMail via a browser on a pc lets me chose between multiple "from" addresses, on the phone this isn't possible.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
is gmail really 'push' email?

i just sent an email from my hotmail account to my account (which i've closed the screen) and it's been a minute or two now and i don't have anything.

when the phone is on and loading some data i.e i'm on the internet, it receives the email in no time but when the phone is 'off'/asleep because no data is being sent (unless there's a pre-setted update like weather/other widgets etc).

Upvote 0
Reactions: rx93
Upvote 0
Encouraged by the fact that some are receiving new emails OK, I tried installing the 2.3 update again but, same as last time, I receive no new emails. Noticed that when trying to do a manual refresh, there is no indication of data activity on the status bar.

So have uninstalled it and reverted to stock version again, which is working fine. And doing a manual refresh shows the sync icon + some data activity.

Tried a few obvious things, like rebooting the phone, but no improvement. If anyone has any suggestions of why it may not work, then I'd be pleased to hear.

One point - my account uses a googlemail.com account rather than gmail.com. Don't know whether that may be making a difference?

This is a tad annoying, I must say!
Sussed it! My phone is low on memory. Replacing the ROM Gmail app with the downloaded update was making it so low (about 14MB free) that Gmail would not work properly. Think I need to free up some more memory!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones