• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Google Privacy Policy

Regardless of what Google is doing with privacy - they need to do something about a couple of issues that are not mentioned.

I cannot sign out of Market or email on the phone. Google assuming one user is a pain. Which means I can't hide email addy. This bothers me as it's the main email. We don't subscribe to the ISP's. I haven't had spam in it, as I have throwaway account for that. When you buy an Android phone, this is never mentioned by the carrier.

I would prefer that Google just use the mailing name and NOT the actual email.

Just use Zuben instead of Zubenelgenub@nonsense.com.
If I'm signed in - Google knows the addy.

Every mobile device is exactly the same. From WP7, to iOS, to BB for that matter, none of them allow multiple user accounts. All of them assume one device, one user. Not saying it's not a pain to do things that way, but it's that way across the board. Google's not doing anything any different than anyone else.

Upvote 0
Every mobile device is exactly the same. From WP7, to iOS, to BB for that matter, none of them allow multiple user accounts. All of them assume one device, one user. Not saying it's not a pain to do things that way, but it's that way across the board. Google's not doing anything any different than anyone else.

Then fix it so we can sign out. Google can keep the other services running in the background and pick up when logged it. The browser can do it.

I think I could sign out on the Nokia, but that wasn't an USA distributed phone. I couldn't get rid of OVI, but at least I could hide it in a folder somewhere.

Upvote 0
Then fix it so we can sign out. Google can keep the other services running in the background and pick up when logged it. The browser can do it.

I think I could sign out on the Nokia, but that wasn't an USA distributed phone. I couldn't get rid of OVI, but at least I could hide it in a folder somewhere.

It's the same across every smart phone though. iOS requires an iTunes account. WP7 requires a Windows Phone 7 account. BB might not require an account. I'm not sure. Perhaps that is what you should consider if that is a big deal for you. All smartphones that I'm familiar with are this way.

Upvote 0
What makes phones and tablets exempt? I can have a windows computer and log out of every site. I can turn of MS security and install my own. I can log out of Google. I can log out of market on the PC. Judging from your reply it's all phone OS.

I see a lot of parents giving the kid the phone to entertain them.

Light users could share a phone. Buy one phone with a large enough plan and use it like a landline. A tablet would be even more likely to be shared. This would include wifi only tablets - no carrier involved.

There shouldn't be any difference between devices. Especially with cloud computing. Some might not want devices in sync.

Upvote 0
What makes phones and tablets exempt? I can have a windows computer and log out of every site. I can turn of MS security and install my own. I can log out of Google. I can log out of market on the PC. Judging from your reply it's all phone OS.

Light users could share a phone. Buy one phone with a large enough plan and use it like a landline. A tablet would be even more likely to be shared. This would include wifi only tablets - no carrier involved.

There shouldn't be any difference between devices. Especially with cloud computing. Some might not want devices in sync.

Then you should either ditch the smartphone or look at a Blackberry.

Upvote 0

Tablets can have multiple accounts, my wife and I are both logged in on our Transformer and can access our information as well as make market purchases on our respective accounts (meaning my credit card, typical woman;)).

Upvote 0
This Google privacy issue is what caused me to join the Android forums, because I'm interested in knowing other people's opinion about what's happening. At the same time, I'm happy I found the site, because if I decide to keep my phone, I have a great place to come to, so I can learn more about Droids. I've only had my phone for 2.5 weeks, and have 30 days to return the phone, and to be honest, I'm feeling really stuck on what to do.

I'm reading all these comments here, and most of you seem fairly calm, but if you go to youtube and watch all the Google privacy videos, you'll come across hundreds and hundreds of nasty comments and fearful people. Many are saying that they'll be deleting all Google related accounts by the end of February, and I was thinking of doing the same, but if I do, I won't be having much fun on the web anymore. On top of that, if I take back my phone that I'm falling in love with more and more each day, then I might as well just turn off the Internet all together.

So, as I'm writing this, I took a few minutes and went on a search, and found an article called "Google defends its new privacy policy in letter to congress" by Meghan Kelly. It's a really good article and I suggest you guys look it up and have a read. I wish I knew what the heck to do, or at least a way to feel safer. I used to be a Straightalk user at only $45 a month, and had absolutely no worries, although the Internet was super slow. Now having a taste of the Droid?? Yeah, like I wanna go back to Straighttalk (NOT!)

Those people on youtube make me paranoid. Gahh! But I have to read and keep myself updated and safe either way. I'm not reading anything positive and reassuring yet, but it was nice reading this thread of "calmer" people. Too bad no one can make up my mind for me, but I really could use some advice right now. Sorry I rambled on so long.

Upvote 0
This Google privacy issue is what caused me to join the Android forums, because I'm interested in knowing other people's opinion about what's happening. At the same time, I'm happy I found the site, because if I decide to keep my phone, I have a great place to come to, so I can learn more about Droids. I've only had my phone for 2.5 weeks, and have 30 days to return the phone, and to be honest, I'm feeling really stuck on what to do.

I'm reading all these comments here, and most of you seem fairly calm, but if you go to youtube and watch all the Google privacy videos, you'll come across hundreds and hundreds of nasty comments and fearful people. Many are saying that they'll be deleting all Google related accounts by the end of February, and I was thinking of doing the same, but if I do, I won't be having much fun on the web anymore. On top of that, if I take back my phone that I'm falling in love with more and more each day, then I might as well just turn off the Internet all together.

So, as I'm writing this, I took a few minutes and went on a search, and found an article called "Google defends its new privacy policy in letter to congress" by Meghan Kelly. It's a really good article and I suggest you guys look it up and have a read. I wish I knew what the heck to do, or at least a way to feel safer. I used to be a Straightalk user at only $45 a month, and had absolutely no worries, although the Internet was super slow. Now having a taste of the Droid?? Yeah, like I wanna go back to Straighttalk (NOT!)

Those people on youtube make me paranoid. Gahh! But I have to read and keep myself updated and safe either way. I'm not reading anything positive and reassuring yet, but it was nice reading this thread of "calmer" people. Too bad no one can make up my mind for me, but I really could use some advice right now. Sorry I rambled on so long.

Glad you joined us Danatrix!

The letter you referred to can also be found in the link in SolidOrange's post http://androidforums.com/3880955-post77.html.

I think what is going on with this issue is everybody is already paranoid about SOPA, PIPA and ACTA so they are blowing Google's privacy policy change way out of proportion. If you read it there doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary, I saw no indication that they are going to create accounts for you or any of the other things I hear people complaining about. Quite the contrary, they intend to use the info to custom tailor your user experience and you still have a large amount of control in what they can do as evidenced here http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy/tools.html.

Leaving Android and Google is a bit premature, stick things out, I'm sure you will be pleased you did.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Thanks, SamuraiBigEd! Being a newbie, I can't post any links, but I see it's being posted a lot and being discussed everywhere! Funny, I just came from the link you last posted about privacytools. It's now going on 2am, and I'm wide awake, trying to find as much info as I can to keep myself safe. You're probably right about these people blowing this way out of proportion, because I'm not reading the things they're saying on Google's end. I'm probably gonna need 100 more people to say that to me to make me feel safe and secure, though. Well, I'll settle for 99. ;)

98. I'm trying. I really am. LOL!

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0

What is it about the new policy you find troubling?

Upvote 0
I'm probably gonna need 100 more people to say that to me to make me feel safe and secure, though. Well, I'll settle for 99. ;)

Will one do? :)

Trust me, I am an extremely private person and none of this concerns me in the least.

I know (and respect) just how much OTD values her privacy, so this statement won't have been made without a great deal of consideration of the facts.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
It's started:
Microsoft slams Google's privacy policy in newspaper ad - Neowin.net

Google has fired back:
Google fires back against Microsoft's privacy ad - Neowin.net

Also:

Google to discuss new privacy policy, you are not invited - Neowin.net

What annoys me the most about this is assumption. All marketing arms of companies think customers will drool at the latest.

If you don't want spam - you can't really give an opinion. I worked in marketing - couldn't answer a survey.(not that I would)

This is the "how are we doing" "what do you think" variety

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for one person anywhere to tell me what is in this new policy that is so objectionable. So far I've seen people from Twitter, FB, G+, various blogs, news outlets, etc.... all bashing the policy and not a single person has said what is so objectionable.

That is because most of them don't know either.;)

Straight from Google's....errr...mouth:

Our privacy controls have not changed. Period. Our users can: edit and delete their search history; edit and delete their YouTube viewing history; use many of our services signed in or out; use Google Dashboard and our Ads Preferences Manager to see what data we collect and manage the way it is used; and take advantage of our data liberation efforts if they want to remove information from our services.

Most people really have no idea whatsoever about Google's Privacy Policy, what has changed or even if anything has really changed. Most are just angry about the fact that it has changed (which is odd since so many voted for it when Obama talked about it). The only thing that they have really done is to consolidate everything into one policy instead of the multitude that they had before. The main reason that some are upset has to do with the fact that they never read the privacy policy for any of Google's stuff before this. Now they are upset about a supposed "change". I am sure the folks at Google are sitting around saying, "WTF?!?! We tried to make it easier!!!!!!"

I view all this ridiculousness the same way I viewed the outcry over Android "Fragmentation" and iPhone's "Antenna Gate". It is a bunch of people sitting around with nothing to do and making a mountain out of a golf divot.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen an explanation yet of how to unlink all the services. I might not want to drop Blogger, but I don't want it included to where it would show up if I had a public account. I might just want that one service private.

You can't delete a single service now. Were I selling my pictures, I would prefer to delete Picasa totally to go to a paid site for photographers, but keep Blog, Mail, Calendar. I don't think not letting someone delete one service is fair. All I can delete is the whole account.

Also how will Google deal with one person that has a public account, and those that use a private account posting a comment on a public page.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen an explanation yet of how to unlink all the services. I might not want to drop Blogger, but I don't want it included to where it would show up if I had a public account. I might just want that one service private.

You can't delete a single service now. Were I selling my pictures, I would prefer to delete Picasa totally to go to a paid site for photographers, but keep Blog, Mail, Calendar. I don't think not letting someone delete one service is fair. All I can delete is the whole account.

Also how will Google deal with one person that has a public account, and those that use a private account posting a comment on a public page.

Here is a link to the privacy tools web page Privacy tools ? Google which explains in full the control you have over your accounts.

As far as a private account posting on a public page you are making the post in a public forum and as such it is public information that can be searched and read by anyone.

Upvote 0
I've read that. I can't delete or unsubscribe to Blogger itself - I can only delete just the content. Google is still counting me as a Blogger user.

That was the gripe. You can only delete the posts in an account - not a service. I do want Mail and Market.

I am sure if enough complain something may be done about that but that has been the case with many of the internet based accounts for years, you can't delete the account itself only the data.

Upvote 0
I've read that. I can't delete or unsubscribe to Blogger itself - I can only delete just the content. Google is still counting me as a Blogger user.

That was the gripe. You can only delete the posts in an account - not a service. I do want Mail and Market.

How does this affect you though? I have never used Blogger in my life. Yet I'm counted as a Blogger user I guess. How does this really affect me though? I don't see how it does in my case. Your case is different. How?

Upvote 0
I can't comment on Blogger as I've never used the service, but Picassa I do:

Were I selling my pictures, I would prefer to delete Picasa totally to go to a paid site for photographers, but keep Blog, Mail, Calendar. I don't think not letting someone delete one service is fair. All I can delete is the whole account.

Or you could simply change how the Picassa albums in question are shared. The "Only me" option makes the images within such folders completely private, for example.

Upvote 0
It's padding statistics. If I were investing, I wouldn't care for it. I saw a rumor that Google was adding Gmail users to G+ to compete with Facebook. I'm taking the rumor with a grain of salt (until I see some kind of reliable backup), but if true, it would be false statistics. I would like to see a prospectus after the policy, especially now that FB has gone public. At least one quote on the news last night was FB wanting to be everything to everyone and keep you on its pages.

I've looked at Dashboard - says I have 50 apps. I don't. A lot got one glance and were deleted immediately. Reflect what I have honestly or don't post the total.

Upvote 0
It's padding statistics. If I were investing, I wouldn't care for it. I saw a rumor that Google was adding Gmail users to G+ to compete with Facebook. I'm taking the rumor with a grain of salt (until I see some kind of reliable backup), but if true, it would be false statistics. I would like to see a prospectus after the policy, especially now that FB has gone public. At least one quote on the news last night was FB wanting to be everything to everyone and keep you on its pages.

I've looked at Dashboard - says I have 50 apps. I don't. A lot got one glance and were deleted immediately. Reflect what I have honestly or don't post the total.

I agree that it's padding statistics. Every company does this though. How many users are on Twitter? How many of them are just spammers? Yet Twitter counts them. FB does the same. It's not unusual. I do wish I could delete those apps off the dashboard though. Google is convinced I purchased one of them. I didn't. I would like to, but now I can't because Google is convinced I did. Yet when I try to download, the download fails because I've never purchased the app. So Google knows I bought it, but also knows I didn't buy it so now I can neither buy it, nor download it. Ugh.

Anyway, Google padding the stats is what every single company out there does. It's not unusual. It's standard business practices. And apparently I do have a Blogger account, I made one post back in 2009 and haven't used it since and had forgotten.

Upvote 0
Like mentioned, I dont do anything illegal so I am ok with whatever google maybe doing with my info, and hope it gets put to good use for better services.

That said, the e-mails did freak me out a bit because I thought it was anoher one of thoses identity theft mails that steal you password etc.
Couldn't they have advertised that such mails will pop up prior to the actual sending???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones