1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New guy, new phone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Clayton1, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Have had my S2 for 5 days now, coming from iphone 3g. Still getting to know it so far, but I can say this thing is SWEET! After showing the ol' ball and chain the stats and the S2 vs ______ phone charts Ive got her really thinking now....She has been dying for an iphone for 2 yrs!

I noticed my phone is the 2.3.3 and I see there is 2.3.4 and 2.3.5 out there, what are the benefits and should I upgrade? (Which I dont even know how to do!)

Im on the bell network in Canada btw, not sure the diff's between Can/Us/Euro S2's...

Advertisement

2. imprez me

imprez me Member
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    hi, i'm also from bell network in canada, and i just got my phone almosts 2 weeks now. and to me upgrading from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 gave me a big performance jump on my battery. i'm not so sure about 2.3.4 but i assume it should give the same.

upgrade via odin is your only option in bell, canada. since they don't have offical update for 2.3.4 in canada.. sadly i used odin.

3. imprez me

imprez me Member
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    hi, i'm also from bell network in canada, and i just got my phone almosts 2 weeks now. and to me upgrading from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 gave me a big performance jump on my battery. i'm not so sure about 2.3.4 but i assume it should give the same.

upgrade via odin is your only option in bell, canada. since they don't have offical update for 2.3.4 in canada.. sadly i used odin.

4. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

the biggest benefit is the better battery life.. after using it a couple of days more, u'll realize that ur battery life probably sucks. lol. with 2.3.3, i barely got 14 hours out of it, which was a bit annoying.. on 2.3.4 and now 2.3.5, im consistently getting over 24 hours..

apart from that, the general performance is smoother.. and there are a few additional things that i dont remember, but theyre updated and improved anyway :D and some smaller bugs are definitely fixed..

if ur not sure about the process, give this link a read.. its very simple, and this guy is the guy to trust when it comes to getting working firmware updates :)

[ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/2/3/4, KI1/2/3/4 Download - xda-developers

EDIT: and in case ur thinking of using Kies (for anything)... dont. lol. updates take forever on kies.. u can flash to 2.3.5 directly (thats KI3 firmware) or even 2.3.4 if u wish.. i cant tell the difference betwen the two. but do it like it says in my link, via Odin.. not Kies

Clayton1 and Twinn like this.
  5. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Awesome, Thanks!

Funny you mention the battery life, Cause ive noticed it goes down fast!! But I mean what can ya expect, the screen is huge!! and bright! A bit better life would be welcomed though!

6. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

indeed, the screen is huge, and its dual core cpu must eat battery.. u get the excuse that its kinda like a laptop in its specs, so 12 hours is very respectable battery..but after all, its a mobile phone, and u often need more than 12 hours battery :D 24+ hours is very respectable, im happy with that.. so look into updating ;)

7. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    try setting automatic brightness. it helps a bit in saving battery ;) would reccomend 2.3.4 which i use currently (+rooted/frozen or deleted bloatware/Litening rom) and as said few times i get over 24h with medium to heavy use (calls, txt, movies,browsing,games). stock battery + i think properly configured Juice Defender ;)

8. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Im reading the link as we speak.:D

I think I have auto brightness on, "(+rooted/frozen or deleted bloatware/Litening rom)" Lol, I have no Idea what that means!

9. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    rooted simply speaking means unlocking your phone totally which means u can basicly change in it everything you want.
    frozen/deleted bloatware - programs which are installed by your carrier which usually u don`t need and sometimes they can start themselves without your knowledge, especially if you are new to android and this phone... so if you root your phone you can use f.e. Titanium Backup app then which allow you to freeze (not delete, just make app not working until u cancel this process) or delete programs which u cant uninstall without rooting.
    Litening rom is tuned up system. The way your f.e. notice bar looks or battery indicator on this bar with digital % :) and it doesnt have unnecessary programs and those which are i froze or delete.

But remember that ROOTING means VOID your WARRANTY! So think about it. Are you really sure you want to loose it! Choice is yours... ;)

Clayton1 likes this.
  10. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Thank you sir!

Well, I voided warranty on my $45k truck by removing the DPF/doc system so, chances are ill do it :)

11. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    I`m glad i could help You :) Please be so kind and press Thanks button ;)

ps. Rooting is worth doing imho :) at least i am very happy with results since i did it :)

Clayton1 likes this.
  12. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Youve been thanked! Same with you Heshanj!

Lol, on the link heshank provided, there is about 500,000 different files to DL and they are all jibberish (to me), hate being a n00b!!!

13. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    Thanks! And take your time, no rush :) its not so difficult as it may look! Once you get how everything works it is easy as making pie ;)

14. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert
    None

Jul 24, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    ps. here`s example of rom which i currently use and i`m really happy with it! Its, fast, stable and looks superb! :) and u will love CRT effect :D

[​IMG]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274

Ps. unfortunatley author of this rom is missing for more than a month and nobody knows where he is... so dont expect update to 6.2 soon...

15. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    UK
    as well as making your phone look fab clayton, one of the benefits of this rom is that it will root your phone for you, so you don't have to work out what files etc you need to root

(although rooting is very easy once you work it out, and a good way of learning about how your phone works)

16. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well, those are the different firmware released so far.. to break it down, uwant to look at:

XXKG5 if u want to stick to official 2.3.4
    XXKH3 if u want a newer 2.3.4 but leaked (i cant tell the difference :D)
    XXKI3 if u want to try android 2.3.5

im using KI3 at the moment. the battery life is the same as 2.3.4 (KH3)

rooting definitely helps as u can remove/freeze unwanted apps that might be working in the background.. among other things

check out this link for rooting ur phone, its the easiest method ive found.. after uve flashed ur new firmware, for example, KI3, just find the corresponding CF root file on this link and flash that, and... ur rooted :) takes less than a minute, i'd think

[27.09.2011][CF-Root v4.2] KE2/7/8,KF1/2/3/4,KG1/2/3/5/6/7,KH1/3/4,KI2/3/4-su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

Clayton1 likes this.
  17. Clayton1

Clayton1 Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    Oilfield.
    FSJ, B.C Canada
    Thank you for the breakdown of the XX____'s.
    Ill try and get it done this weekend if im not working.