1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New guy saying "Hi"!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Subbie138, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Subbie138

Subbie138 Lurker

Hello, I am Subbie138, not internet famous for anything. Hello to you, too, vBulletin. Haven't been with you since &Totse.

Anyway, I thought I should do the responsible thing and get muhself a phone. I am 30 years old, and I've been fighting this for a decade. I ended up with a Galaxy Precedent and I would like to root the thing, you know, because I BOUGHT and OWN the damned thing. It is MINE. My machine!

The idea of having an Android in my pocket blows my mind, it's amazing, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. This really is everything I have been waiting for. It's less phone and more computer to me. Thanks for having me in the community and I hope that I will be able to contribute in the future.

-Sub

Atma likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

How are you doing Subbie!

i know how you feel about buying the thing so it is yours and you should be able to do with it as you please!
    I had a motorola droid x that has an encrypted bootloader because moto is the empire and wants to rule the galaxy with the evil sith hand!

the samsung precedent is a nice phone, and you can learn more about rooting it here:
    Precedent - All Things Root - Android Forums

here is the root method for your device:
    http://androidforums.com/precedent-all-things-root/430457-rtto-your-precedent.html#post3334623

and from what i have seen 2 roms to choose from:
    http://androidforums.com/precedent-all-things-root/569739-rom-joyosprecedent.html#post4556230

http://androidforums.com/precedent-all-things-root/504381-rom-beta-cyanogenmod-7-a.html#post3979681

good luck and enjoy yourself here, ask any question that you have and we shall answer it as quickly as we can

Granite1 and Subbie138 like this.
  3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Welcome to the site Sub, you will find many useful things here for your phone.

4. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Glad to have you here. :)

Subbie138 likes this.
  5. Subbie138

Subbie138 Lurker

Wow! Thanks for the replies and warm welcome, everyone. It has been a bit of a chore finding accurate and updated information for the precedent, so a really big nod to you VoidedSaint. I'll take a look and let you know how it works out.

6. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

Welcome Subbie! :hello:

I felt the same about my first smart phone. It was like Christmas. (well..it was Christmas) :D

Enjoy yourself. You'll find a lot of info and help here.

7. Subbie138

Subbie138 Lurker

Done and done. With great success, I have a whole new phone. It even runs better. Again, thank you to VoidedSaint. I saw a lot of old information and dead links (Megaupload, for example) so I was very hesitant to brick my phone with something I wasn't sure of. The fact that VoidedSaint linked to the information above made me believe that the information posted there is in fact current and good information, and to look into it further. VS was right, and it worked.

I don't have a lot of money, and I really want to get the most out of my humble little investment. This has really made it nice for me. I don't have to get an update notification for Facebook every. single. day. which I don't use, and couldn't disable.

There are a few little things I noticed during the process that aren't specifically mentioned in the "readmes" or other threads, so I will do my best to contribute for anyone who is nervous or a rookie about what data needs to be where, and some other minor details. The Devil is in the details ; )

Thanks everybody.

-Sub

Granite1 and VoidedSaint like this.