• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root new Hboot

D

Deleted User

First off, Merry Christmas everybody, hope you've all had a great day day, and eaten amazing amounts of food :)

Anyway, I've noticed on the alpahrev site that I can install a different hboot from the SD card, first off, is this a safe option?

Secondly, if so, are the following steps ok?

1) Running Oxygen ROM at the moment, so flash Teppics Sense ROM
2) Download Bravo Oxygen R2 table and transfer image to SD Card (and rename)
3) Download dgb ROM and transfer this to SD Card (i know there's smaller)
4) Boot into HBoot, flash the new table in the same way as a ROM?
5) Then flash dgb in the normal way?

Hope all that makes sense?

I can install a different hboot from the SD card, first off, is this a safe option?

Its not the best way (fstboot flash is) but its as safe I suppose

1) Running Oxygen ROM at the moment, so flash Teppics Sense ROM
2) Download Bravo Oxygen R2 table and transfer image to SD Card (and rename)
3) Download dgb ROM and transfer this to SD Card (i know there's smaller)
4) Boot into HBoot, flash the new table in the same way as a ROM?
5) Then flash dgb in the normal way?

1) Why are you flashing teppics rom if its not your final rom? Are you not already S-off? Id not, yes you need rooted tock to s-off, otherwise this step is pointless.

2) It would need renaming to PB99IMG.zip

3) My ROM? Smaller what?

4) No, PB99IMG.zips are automatically picked up by hboot and flashed that way, roms are flashed via recovery

5) yes

But if by dGB you do mean my ROM, why bother with the Oxygen table? Just use mine.

Upvote 0
1) I'm not S-Off yet

2) Got the rename

3) I meant smaller table, got it mixed up a bit, lol

4) So I would only need to boot into Hboot and it does everything for me? I dont need to go through any menus to select my new table??

I'll have a look at your sig for the 65Mb one in that case, is it still a case of just renaming it to PB99IMG.zip

Upvote 0
Hi guys

I'm a bit stuck again. I've downloaded the 65mb table from the dgb website, however its bringing an error message up saying:

unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quick, the application will close immediately.

Could not find a part of the path 'Data\hboot.img

Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
hi,
what are you doing when this happens? are you trying to flash it on the phone itself? i think you have to use android flasher app installed on your pc, with the phone in fasboot mode to apply the new hboot.......thats just from my memory btw, which isnt that good :)

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
just run the md5 checker and it matches

in boring details

rebooted the phone into fastboot (shows fastboot USB) once plugged in
Opened Android Flasher, selected HBOOT tickbox then clicked begin
Found the file bravo_alphaspl_dGB65, click open, and thats where the error comes up

Hope that makes sense

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think that, was just hoping this would be easier than command stuff

Am I right in saying then if I don't need the adb part, that put the phone into fastboot (back and power) connect the USB, then open a command prompt, type fastboot flash hboot and then the file location file name.

Eg, if file is on the C drive and no further folder:
fastboot flash hboot c:\bravo_alphaspl_dGB65.img

Upvote 0
I've gone for option B and changed the environment variables, so now I just need to reboot in fastboot, wipe everything plug in the USB and type the commands as above and which will install the new hboot, then another wipe of everything before installing the ROM?

Upvote 0
All done!!
Was a really quick process, did have a bit of a scare when it stayed on the splashscreen and froze, pulled the battery, went into recovery and it said it couldnt find recovery logs, did a nandroid restore anyway and all sorted.
Now with 21 apps installed, I've used 135 MB and got 233MB free
Thanks SU, Hadron and Dan for your help in this thread

Loving dgb, however I've only got the old market 2.3.3 and I've come to quite like the newer version, just wondering how I can update to it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones