• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Hero-owner (with troubles, but loving Android!)

So, I recently bought a 2nd hand Hero (new they're just too expensive for me), but I do regret not having bought a new one, since then I'd be entitled to warranty, which is what I'd liek now, because the damn thing refuses to see my SIM-card anymore (it at least did thatin the beinning, and then forgot all about it and lost connection to the cell-network, could not regain it either. Now(since the hard reset), from the get-go it just refuses to acknowledge the existence of the SIM.

But enough about that complaining (notified HTC of my problems, including not being able to upgrade the ROM) But Android is very nice, (of course it's much nicer than Windoze Mobile, not hard to achieve that).

So to tell something about me: I reallydig the 3270-interface (with TSO and ISPF) of the IBM Mainframes, I also really liked OS/2 WPS/PM, and Android is a step up in terms of flashiness, and I really like it. I also like being able to develop programs for it,without having to spend big €€€/$$$,

So, I recently bought a 2nd hand Hero (new they're just too expensive for me), but I do regret not having bought a new one, since then I'd be entitled to warranty, which is what I'd liek now, because the damn thing refuses to see my SIM-card anymore (it at least did thatin the beinning, and then forgot all about it and lost connection to the cell-network, could not regain it either. Now(since the hard reset), from the get-go it just refuses to acknowledge the existence of the SIM.

But enough about that complaining (notified HTC of my problems, including not being able to upgrade the ROM) But Android is very nice, (of course it's much nicer than Windoze Mobile, not hard to achieve that).

So to tell something about me: I reallydig the 3270-interface (with TSO and ISPF) of the IBM Mainframes, I also really liked OS/2 WPS/PM, and Android is a step up in terms of flashiness, and I really like it. I also like being able to develop programs for it,without having to spend big

Upvote 0
welcome. What thing you could try is have your carrier replace the SIM card (sometimes they stop working and it's not the phone).
Thank for the tip, but the SIM works fine in my (archaic) Nokia 31xx (you know, one of those phoens which is designed solely for the purpose of telephoning).

And HTC CS have already offered to book my phone in for repairs - they even worked during the weekend - (the mail replier at HTC - don't know about the repairer). I haven't told them that I'd bought it 2nd hand, only told the story that I don't have the bill for the phone.(which is true, the guy I nought it from thruogh the internet also didn't have one, he said he'd 'found' it, in whose pocket/hands is the question that naturally comes to mind, but I didn't ask.:p

Oh, one other Q: the phone used to have Quickoffice - can't find it anymore since the hard reset - but Quickoffice on the Hero couldn't even open files made with Quickoffice on the Nokia 5800, which the Hero is replacing. Oh well, I'll wait for the phone to be repaired then I might spend money on AndrOffice... (I don't have a mobile internet-subscription, so I'll have to be near a WiFi, router to use the interwebs, so I don't think google docs will be suitable for me. Or have I got the wrong idea about google docs?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones