1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support new HTC Desire android user -- outlook contacts sync quest

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tyfrazier, Feb 17, 2011.

1. tyfrazier

tyfrazier Lurker

Hi I am a new Android user, and so far am very happy with the product. I used Google mail since 2006 and it was amazing how many google "contacts" I had collected over these years. I didn't even know they existed really. Also the flash for using such websites as Justin.tv is really impressive, I can only imagine the possibilities!

My question has more to do with practical everyday work application and my Microsoft contacts and Microsoft Exchange Server. I am syncing my mail and calender from Microsoft Exchange onto my HTC Desire HD, no problem, the Mail finds the folder and subfolders just fine. Calenders also seem to be fine. My issue is with the contacts sync.

I want my HTC Desire HD to sync exactly to my Microsoft Exchange server contacts, which I prefer to edit and work on in Microsoft Outlook on my workstation (Windows 7, Outlook 2010). I have created different "contacts" folders in Outlook, but my Android doesn't find these, it only finds a single folder named contacts I am assuming. Also there are some default groups in the groups folder which are redundant or not useful. I tried setting some of the groups on the phone and committing the sync, but this results in a strange result in Outlook, and isn't really a productive way to do this anyways.

How to modify the Android to let sync my contacts exact as the exist on Microsoft Exchange Server as I upload them from Outlook 2010. I was doing this on an IPhone 4 just yesterday and didnt seem to have any problems with it.

Thanks!
    Ty

Advertisement

2. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

I also have different Contacts folders in Outlook for various reasons (I use Outlook 2000 :eek: on XP Pro SP3) and can sync whichever ones I want. BUT .... I use an app called MyPhoneExplorer (Google it ... a client on your PC and an app on the phone - I use it over wifi). HTC Sync wasn't working for me so I went for MPE. They have a fairly active forum as well so queries get answered quickly.

You might want to do some digging about on the forums first about using Outlook 2010 and W7 etc as I "think" there were some issues with certain combinations ...

Dave

3. tyfrazier

tyfrazier Lurker

well...that's not exactly what I want to do -- what I want to do is sync my contacts instantaneously using Microsoft Exchange Server. So for example -- if I'm in a meeting somewhere and make a contact, I simply add it to my HTC Desire and then it automatically synchronizes with Exchange Server and Outlook on my desktop as well as my laptop. I don't want to do it asynchronously and not with USB/Bluetooth.

Is there someway to program the People app on the Android to make it 'see' the Outlook contacts it is receiving from Exchange Server more clearly? This didn't seem to be a problem with the I-Phone, so I'm hoping there is some modification I can make to my phone, even if it means doing some work/programming modifying the existing application.

4. SlamminHammo

SlamminHammo Lurker

I do not have an answer unfortunately Ty, but I have the same problem! I also have Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, but it is a POP3 account and not Microsoft Exchange.
    I imported some contacts from Outlook 2003 into 2010, but they do not download to my Desire HD. If I manually type in a new contact and sync, that contact is found and downloaded to the phone.

Any help would be great