1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New ICS version released

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sword Fish, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Sword Fish

Sword Fish Android Enthusiast

Shotgun84 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

I can't say I'm going to flash the firmware. But I'm curious to see what the kp4 modem can do so I think I'll be flashing that.

3. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

Anyone know if O2 use NITZ?

4. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast

I'm still learning all this. What can flashing just the KP4 Modem offer?

That aside, it seems it will be full of bugs.

5. Shotgun84

Its hard to say until I actually try it as the effectiveness of modems depends on your network and location. So its hard to say if it will be an improvement until you've tried it. But I'm hoping it will improve my signal and upload/download speed. Other people have reported a big improvement in speeds on the last two modems (KL1 and KP1) but they didn't work for me on 3 uk. So I've been using quite an old one as it provides the best combination of speed and battery. So I'm hoping this one can give me the extra speed without draining my battery like the last two.

6. Medion

Medion Android Expert

One benefit to this leak as opposed to the last one is that this is "official," meaning it doesn't raise the binary counter. This means you don't risk voiding your warranty by flashing this ROM.

7. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Happy New Year!

The I9100XXKP8_I9100OXAKP8 (Android 4.0.3) firmware is now available at sammobile for those brave enough to try it. ;)

8. Remeniz

Remeniz Android Enthusiast

Mmmmm......

Do these firmware updates wipe the phone?

I'm so tempted but should anything weird happen I wanna be able to flash back to XWKK5.

:)

9. Sword Fish

Anyone try this yet?

10. Sword Fish

I downloaded and extracted the KP8 modem. Installed and seems to work well on AT&T right now. Wireless working well too.

11. Shotgun84

Who's dumb idea was it to make a site for gs2 firmware that you can't actually download from using a gs2

Edit: I gave up on downloading from samfirmware and got it from here instead

12. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Merged with existing ICS thread. ;)

13. WilfMoralee

WilfMoralee Well-Known Member

installed it now. seems okay but wifi takes forever to connect, keeps it fine once established.

has restarted a few times without any reason. Strangely no firmware replacement buttons at the bottom of the screen, take it samsung took these out.

A couple of things bugging me:

1. face unlock cannot start - any ideas anybody? EDIT - pulled down the CM9 zip, and used the faceunlock from there applied to official ROM, this has fixed face unlock for me, and also strangely solved the inability to switch off or restart I mentioned below.

2. notification bar has notification to setup automatic update. cannot 'clear' this notification, and when try to set it up it says that it has failed. EDIT - has now accepted setup, but will connect to server for update, so thinking this may be a sporadic server issue at present, and not a phone issue.

I think for now I will be going back to checkrom v4.0 until a more stable version is released. going to try to nab the browser from here as love the sync with chrome. if anybody has fathomed how to do this please share.

EDIT - will hang with this ROM for a while, report any other bugs found, and report on battery life for anybody interested.

Have managed to add the CFroot Kernel so got ROM rooted and CWM added with no issues. Has anybody managed to get JKay settings working with this ROM, might just sod it and try flashing the 13.3.9 zip to see what happens. although only for deodexed ROMs so that will probably cause a lot of issues.

14. WilfMoralee

also, does not shutdown or restart nicely, ends up hanging on black screen with soft key lights on, and gets very hot.

15. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Android Expert

Just curious. What kind of Quadrant scores is ICS producing on the GS II?

16. WilfMoralee

This is test just run on my phone:

[​IMG]

17. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Wow, you need a more up-to-date comparison chart there Wilf!

I'm not trying anymore of the Sammobile ones unless it's official by Samsung. The last one corrupted all my CWM backups...

18. Baldilocks

Good. I was worried, that like the Galaxy Nexus, the result would be much worse. Considering the Galaxy Nexus doesn't even score over 2000. I know it's not a true test, but it DOES show how much better the Exynos processor is.

19. WilfMoralee

First time I've used quadrant, couldn't find any options to change phones it compares to....

20. Baldilocks

You can't. :)

21. KTP

KTP Android Enthusiast

thats the ICS rom?
    shouldnt the notification icons all be blue?

22. Baldilocks

Not with Touchwiz. They look better green anyway. :)

23. WilfMoralee

think i would prefer the blue, but going to stick with this ROM until CM9 is released.

just wish JKay settings worked on KP8..

24. KTP

KTP Android Enthusiast

yeah i would definitely prefer the blue, i flashed the ICS theme for Checkrom simply to get the blue icons, the rest i wasnt bothered about.

25. WilfMoralee

I would happily go back to CheckROM now if I could keep the stick browser from 4.0.3. Not bothered about face unlock, and rest of system seems the same apart from little app support and no Jkay :-(

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews