• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New intrusive ads?!

Firefox plus AdBlock Plus and I see nothing. Just sayin' With the frustration levels I'm seeing over this ad (I've never seen a site with so many complaints, so it's got to be bad) why anyone wouldn't go with a browser that will completely, totally and absolutely stop these kind of annoyances is beyond me.
brick.gif

Upvote 0
I complained aboutt his last night too in another thread and was hoping it would be gone by now. :(

Having been around the block a time or two I realize it isn't this sites fault, or even radio shacks fault. It's the advertisers that are to blame. They find new creative ways to get their ads out for their paying customers to the sites like this that they pay to display them. Some of them are pretty hard to block though too...

That said my usual browsing sessions are goign to be cut down until it's gone. It's amazing that a relatively small ad can be so damned annoying.

Upvote 0
Firefox plus AdBlock Plus and I see nothing. Just sayin' With the frustration levels I'm seeing over this ad (I've never seen a site with so many complaints, so it's got to be bad) why anyone wouldn't go with a browser that will completely, totally and absolutely stop these kind of annoyances is beyond me.
brick.gif

Yes, the ad is not there when AdBlockPlus is enabled (I need to see what users are complaining about, so I disabled it for a bit).

But some don't like to load up their browsers with addons, and some don't think they should have to in order to enjoy their favorite websites.

Fwiw, here's an AdBlockPlus link (the addon is free):

Adblock Plus: Save your time and traffic

Upvote 0
You got it right, Dr. Evo (post #5). ;)

If there is one person who hates those intrusive ads, it is our venerable Leader, the Owner: Rob.

It seems to be an ongoing battle (well, off and on) with the ads that obscure the page or otherwise do just too much to grab a user's attention here.

But he's with us, he's on it.. hang in there, as was said before.

Upvote 0
brick.gif

well....
i like this site...
on it a lot...
enjoy learning and sharing info...
has helped me in many situations...

it dont cost me a penny to use it...
it does cost someone money to keep it up...
it does cost someone personal time to maintain it....

ads do help with the costs....
i support this site.. by not blocking the ads...

I just dont want them constantly in my face!

Upvote 0
I don't mind the ads, in general, and I sometimes click on them, especially if they at least seem interesting (regardless of if I'm planning on buying), but this RS ad forced me to download AdBlock for Chrome, at least until the RS ad is gone.

Ads on the page that *SCROLL* when you do = fine.

Ads that *STAY IN ONE SPOT* as you scroll and *BLOCK CONTENT* = bad.

Upvote 0
With respect to the Radio Shack banner ad, I have to wonder if the brain trust thought, "Yeah, lets do it, take the money, and maybe nobody will notice." Either that, or they put up an ad with no clue about what it would do or how it would appear. "Sucks" does not begin to cover this situation. Forums are such a pain to use they're useless.

Upvote 0
Reading some of the comments in here, I find it a little surprising and even somewhat disturbing how some of you portray the owners of this place as if they are some money hungry animals who could care less about this place, and their sole purpose is to milk cash out. Some of you need to realize the heavy, heavy, heavy traffic on this site causes severe usage of bandwidth for the server, and trust me, its not cheap. I'm sure Rob and co. would love for you to cover the bills, so then there will never be ads on here again.

That being said, I do understand that there should be boundaries, and that Radioshack one may have been over it. Props to Rob for handling it though.

Upvote 0
Ok, so what the heck is this? This is what I got when I tried to go to this thread (via new posts button)

That's an error coming from web server software. It may be indicating that the AF ver is getting so much traffic that it's running out of some finite resource.

It could also be assocated with the Rat Shack ad which I suspect went haywire today on this site and maybe many others. Something has to be serving that Flash traffic and I doubt it was the AF server itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones