• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New intrusive ads?!

I'm not sure who is trying to point fingers at who here, but there is no way anyone other than forum admins who have the rights/access to do anything regarding VB ads and administration. Someone once said it was a "web host" I believe, which is utter crap.

You guys are probably only hearing from 1% of the people on here who aren't happy with this. Losing 10-20 probably won't matter. When people don't return and posts drop off maybe someone will get the point.

Rob is not a liar, and he's stated more than once that he hates those ads and is trying to rid the forums of them altogether.

Phases is not a liar, either, and he's stated that he, too wants them gone.

I am speculating, but I think that it has to do with the agency that provides the access for the ads to appear here; that agency is probably slow to move, maybe even to the point of not doing so unless litigation is eminent. Again, just guessing wrt to that.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's website or just the forums: that damn ad sucks

It's not the ad itself - it's the fact that it sits on its own layer

(Yes, yes, I appreciate it might be necessary to fund the website using such initiatives - that's OK - nothing wrong with that)

Have you tried accessing the website using a phone???

Dear moderators/website owners, please give it a go

I've used a HTC Desire - really really annying - and I can't DAMN get rid of the damn popup - I think I somehow managed after about 20 clicks

Now if you like self chastising yourself, try using a Sony Ericsson X10 mini - yes, you'll waste many hours of your life to get rid of the damn popup

It's not possible

Sort it out!

(All of the above only meant to be constructive cirticism - this forum is awesome otherwise)

OM

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's website or just the forums: that damn ad sucks

It's not the ad itself - it's the fact that it sits on its own layer

(Yes, yes, I appreciate it might be necessary to fund the website using such initiatives - that's OK - nothing wrong with that)

Have you tried accessing the website using a phone???

Dear moderators/website owners, please give it a go

I've used a HTC Desire - really really annying - and I can't DAMN get rid of the damn popup - I think I somehow managed after about 20 clicks

Now if you like self chastising yourself, try using a Sony Ericsson X10 mini - yes, you'll waste many hours of your life to get rid of the damn popup

It's not possible

Sort it out!

(All of the above only meant to be constructive cirticism - this forum is awesome otherwise)

OM

Hello OM.

The ad situation is being addressed by site owners and Admin.

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/266680-new-intrusive-ads.html

Meanwhile, the free Phandroid app gets around the site much more efficiently than browsers do on a hand held device. It's available in Market.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure who is trying to point fingers at who here, but there is no way anyone other than forum admins who have the rights/access to do anything regarding VB ads and administration. Someone once said it was a "web host" I believe, which is utter crap.
Rob, Phases, and the developers (unknown) are the only ones that have admin access to things like that and are the ones that keep in contact with the ad agencies. We (the moderators) have no word in it nor are we involved with that, so you have to PM Rob and Phases. As I said earlier, I think they are a bit caught up with CTIA, however, I'm sure if enough people PM them about this extremely annoying issue, that they'll handle it. No one (including them) like overbearing, intrusive ads so they'll work on getting rid of those types ASAP once they are aware.

Reactions: gcobb
Upvote 0
You can bet that I won't be going to RadioShack anytime soon.

I think Radio Shack (and those Dollar Stores) stay in business in each town they're in by the same four people going into them repeatedly to get talked into making purchases for things they don't want. They're not into much of an informed customer demographic, it seems. ;)

Reactions: dmaxfan
Upvote 0
12981d1318848039-hypothetically-speaking-bypassing-new-emmissions-not_this_crap_again.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones