1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New intrusive ads?!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box & Feedback' started by ronhoney, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Rob is not a liar, and he's stated more than once that he hates those ads and is trying to rid the forums of them altogether.

Phases is not a liar, either, and he's stated that he, too wants them gone.

I am speculating, but I think that it has to do with the agency that provides the access for the ads to appear here; that agency is probably slow to move, maybe even to the point of not doing so unless litigation is eminent. Again, just guessing wrt to that.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

Also whenever these appear while I'm browsing with my Galaxy S, it's an absolute pain in the bee-hind trying to properly tap that tiny lil cross.

3. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's website or just the forums: that damn ad sucks

It's not the ad itself - it's the fact that it sits on its own layer

(Yes, yes, I appreciate it might be necessary to fund the website using such initiatives - that's OK - nothing wrong with that)

Have you tried accessing the website using a phone???

Dear moderators/website owners, please give it a go

I've used a HTC Desire - really really annying - and I can't DAMN get rid of the damn popup - I think I somehow managed after about 20 clicks

Now if you like self chastising yourself, try using a Sony Ericsson X10 mini - yes, you'll waste many hours of your life to get rid of the damn popup

It's not possible

Sort it out!

(All of the above only meant to be constructive cirticism - this forum is awesome otherwise)

OM

4. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

yeah.. at the very least... make that damn X big and easy to select!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Frisco

Hello OM.

The ad situation is being addressed by site owners and Admin.

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/266680-new-intrusive-ads.html

Meanwhile, the free Phandroid app gets around the site much more efficiently than browsers do on a hand held device. It's available in Market.

6. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

good to hear someone's listening :)
    maybe i should start charging for my advice?

7. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Agreed. My phone doesn't have the biggest screen in the world, and since the ad auto-centers it's self every time you zoom/move the screen, by the time I'm zoomed out far enough to see the X, it's too small to hit.

8. Frisco

Sure. Here's six dollars in Phandroid Cash -----> [$5] [$1]

Don't spend it all in one place. ;)

9. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member

awesome
    thanks - it's what i always wanted :)

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)

Rob, Phases, and the developers (unknown) are the only ones that have admin access to things like that and are the ones that keep in contact with the ad agencies. We (the moderators) have no word in it nor are we involved with that, so you have to PM Rob and Phases. As I said earlier, I think they are a bit caught up with CTIA, however, I'm sure if enough people PM them about this extremely annoying issue, that they'll handle it. No one (including them) like overbearing, intrusive ads so they'll work on getting rid of those types ASAP once they are aware.

gcobb likes this.
  11. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

This popup add is driving me insane and I have complained about it multiple times. It is all I can do, and I will continue to do so.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

This popup add is driving me insane and I have complained about it multiple times. It is all I can do, and I will continue to do so.

Frisco and NightAngel79 like this.
  13. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)

Just got hit with a newer Thunderbolt splash ad that is twice as big as the older one:mad:

14. Frisco

Saw that one a bit ago. On a device such as this SGT, it's a deal breaker; I have to dump the browser to get rid of the ad... the back button doesn't work.

That's sick stuff, reminicent of Windows 95 days and frozen screen banner ads.

15. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

and the "x" is moved to the left side!!!

16. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

So, these annoying ads are back!
    I'm sick of this crap!

17. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Once Rob is back from Barcelona I will go on another rampage to try to get something done about this. I'm sorry for the trouble.I agree they are overbearing and ridiculous ads to have on a site about mobile phones - where when you use said phone you can't even get past the ads to see the content.

El Presidente, rynlpin and Frisco like this.
  18. Frisco

The battle is with the agencies that fire the ads all over the internet. It reminds me of getting junk mail in "snail mail": once on their list it's very difficult to stop the junk because the list is accessed by many many different ad generators.

19. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Which is why my posts are usually in Tapatalk/Phandroid app.

20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Is it only people in the USA seeing these popups? I'm not getting anything like this at all from AF.

21. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Probably because The Great Firewall blocks all evil capitalist influences. ;)

IOWA likes this.
  22. dmaxfan

dmaxfan Well-Known Member

You can bet that I won't be going to RadioShack anytime soon.

23. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert

I'm not seeing anything thanks to AdBlock Plus and NoScript.

24. Frisco

I think Radio Shack (and those Dollar Stores) stay in business in each town they're in by the same four people going into them repeatedly to get talked into making purchases for things they don't want. They're not into much of an informed customer demographic, it seems. ;)

dmaxfan likes this.