• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW KEYBOARD - SwiftKey

Can anyone tell me the difference in options between auto complete and auto accept

The descriptions given in the software settings are as follows:

Auto Complete: After starting a word, press space to select the middle suggestion.

Auto Accept: Pressing space always selects the middle suggestion while entering text.

Basically, when you have Auto Accept on, pressing space (without typing) will select the middle PREDICTED word. It's actually quite neat as the middle word is often the one you were going to type anyways, so you are just pressing space while it types for you. LOL

Upvote 0
Swiftkey is now available to everyone in the Market.

Well, I can't find it :( I really like the HTC keyboard but the constant FC's when I use the hardware keyboard kept me from using it. Any idea why it's not showing up for me? I've tried both searching and using the link from the site to the market and nothing works. I'm running rooted 2.2 if that means anything.

Edit: nevermind, apparently it doesn't show up on "unofficial" 2.2 phones. Lame
http://support.swiftkey.net/discussions/problems/542-droid-22-not-in-market

Can someone upload the .apk?

Upvote 0
I have been a swype user for the majority of having my Dinc and have multitouch, htc keyboard, swype, and swiftkey. Now I just downloaded swiftkey maybe 10 min ago, but I can already see how awesome this keyboard is. Swype took a pretty decent amount of time for me to actually be good at, and I can only assume that this keyboard will be the same way. So I will give it a good couple weeks to a month of testing before I make my Swype vs Swiftkey decision.

Upvote 0
It's a pretty awesome keyboard. The deal breaker for me is that there is no mic button for speech to text on my moment. I use that a lot in the car. Stock keyboard has one as does Better Keyboard, so I guess I'll stick with BK for now. If Swift ads a mic button, it'll be good as gold! :)

I thought swype was originally only for the droid, I've been out of the android loop for a bit, lol. I hated the hero and switched to a palm pre but missed android too much so I came crawling back.

Upvote 0
I have swiftkey on an evo and I'm having some issues. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar problems and/or might be able to help.

1. There are no arrow/cursor keys. I find it difficult to select the exact position without them.
  2. The delete key is too close to "m" and I frequently hot it accidently
  3. Autocomplete adds a space every time and I don't see a way to change that
  4. Certainly symbols like underscore are a pain to find.

Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones