• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Laptop or Android Tablet?

Laptop or Android Tablet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slider9499

Jan 1, 2009
NYC
I am having a tough time deciding on whether to replace my old laptop with a new laptop [running Windows 7] or waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

I travel to/from work via the train (one hour each way) and love to read, listen to music, podcasts, etc. BUt I don't know if the tablet will be able to (wirelessly) print and connect to my current speakers at my house.

I currently own an HTC EVO and love it but would probably sell the EVO and just use the tablet if it has all of the capabilities that the EVO has. I very rarely use the phone so that is not a major factor in my decision.

Any thoughts?

If your intent is to use the device to listen to music, podcasts, and to read than I think the tablet would be easier to use and simpler to carry around. If, on the other hand, you forsee a need for heavy word processing, desktop replacement. or other functions requiring better performance and memory then I think a laptop would make more sense.

Upvote 0
If your intent is to use the device to listen to music, podcasts, and to read than I think the tablet would be easier to use and simpler to carry around. If, on the other hand, you forsee a need for heavy word processing, desktop replacement. or other functions requiring better performance and memory then I think a laptop would make more sense.
Pretty much somes it up
I would love to see some Windows7 tabs though

Upvote 0
I just got a windows 7 netbook about a month ago for when I need a computer. I use my Droid X for most things, but there are some things you need a computer for, like when you need to hook up something via use.

I would go with a netbook as it is cheaper than the galaxy s tab or laptop and keep your evo.

I am going to be replacing my netbook with a new netbook or laptop as soon as a good one is out running Chrome OS though.

Upvote 0
I voted for laptop. If you need a new one, and you use it for work, then you should get that before you get a tablet.

Now once the newer tabs come out though there should be a few of the older ones, like the Archos 5IT that go on eBay for fairly reasonable prices once folks start selling their older tabs to get newer ones. ;) That might be a good time to pick one up cheap and get the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
I have a HP Pavilion tx22500z laptop which converts to a tablet form and I like it and use it when I'm traveling but its heavy and not really useful when laying in bed on a couch etc. I like the idea of a small form factor tablet like (dare i say it) Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Archos 7 or 10.

True the Apple one has everything one can want except a few things, but I really do not like Apple products. The Samsung is nice but the price range is way too much, but I've spent far more for lesser things. The Archos is one that I am still researching so I can't say it will fulfill my needs, but from what I gather with a few hacks/apks it can get gmail gmaps, etc and have 3g/4g service with my EVO 4G tether/hotspot.

At this point its between the Galaxy Tab and the Archos, more towards the Archos, but I think I will resist my urge to not get it right off the bat until its been selling for a few weeks and the reviews form users come in.

TS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones