1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root new leak!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, May 2, 2012.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010

Advertisement

manbat, thornev, WA_Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    West edge of the East Texas Piney Woods
    I've been running Scott's deodexed version for about 12 hours now and running smooth! Can't wait to see what comes of this and the official OTA! :cheers:

scotty85 likes this.
  3. howardz2

howardz2 Member
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    I am going to wait for the official released version - rumored to be 6 days from now.

4. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    I'm S-Off now so I can always go back if I want to (and probably will). Just bored and wanted to see how well this one works. So far, so good!

5. thornev

thornev Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm S-On and on GB running CleanROM 1.7.5 with Incredikernel, Amon Ra recovery. Please someone confirm these are the instructions for my moving to the new leak. Thanks.

1. Put PH98IMG.zip (from scrosler's post) on external SD card.
    2. Power off. Vol Down + power to get into Fastboot.
    3. Flash PH98IMG.zip from SD card.
    4. Flash Old Firmware Patch which is now on SD card.
    5. Reboot.
    6. If WiFi doesn't work, flash WiFi_Modules.zip.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    How i would do it:

1)Put rom and ph98img on sd card
    2)boot to recovery via quickboot app,or adb(adb reboot recovery)
    3)backup,wipe
    4)flash rom
    5)flash old firmware patch
    6)menu option in amon to boot to bootloader(or adb- adb reboot bootloader)
    7)push power to get to hboot(6 takes you to fastboot)
    8)chose yes to update kernel
    9) reboot

Altenately:
    S-off and just flash ruu :D

chknhwk and thornev like this.
  7. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Or,if you dont have a permanent recovery:

1) rom and ph98img on sd card
    2)boot to fastboot via quickboot ap or adb(adb reboot bootloader)
    2.5) launch recovery(fastboot boot recoveryname.img
    3)+ same as above

chknhwk likes this.
  8. thornev

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I would, but that whole wire trick thing seems so silly.

leebee likes this.
  9. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    My wife walked in while I was doing this and she was like "what in the hell are you doing to your phone?" "don't worry about it - and when I'm done, gimme your phone too"

Worth it though. There's something to be said for not having any constrictions. I'm running the first leak and it's pretty good - but definitely has it's issues. The great part is I can RUU back to GB and start over if I want, or try this new leak and then RUU back, etc. You're never stuck in any firmware - you can always start over!

WA_Bob and scotty85 like this.
  10. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    +1 - My wife thought had gone all mad scientist when she saw me with a paper clip doing the "wire trick", but now that I'm S-Off, everything is so much easier with flashing and ROMing!

11. thornev

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Hudson Valley, NY
    OK, I don't get it. What is it that becomes easier with S-off? Flashing a ROM is already relatively simple - put it on an SD card, go into recovery and flash it. And since ROMs don't come with firmware, they have to be flashed separately anyway, no? Scotty said with S-off I only have to flash the RUU, but I went to scrosler's post and I don't see an RUU, just a ZIP file. IF someone would post BEFORE and AFTER S-off procedures for a given ROM, that would help.

12. howardz2

howardz2 Member
    None

Apr 17, 2012
  13. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Male
    Forester
    Well, with S-On, once you flashed an ICS leak/ ROM you were never able to go back to the GB RUUs to start over if you made a mistake. Now, you can go backwards and forwards to take chances and go back if you have an EPIC FAIL with flashing. Basically, as long as you can still get back to fastboot and you have a ROM, even one not based on a bleeding edge update or ROM (the Sense 4.0 ones come to mind in my experience), you can't brick your phone.

Just that much of an extra security blanket.

Also, you could also flash ROMs or run backups on your phone without needing a computer if you wanted to - I did that with my Thunderbolt even though it's not the safest way to do things. :beerglass:

14. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    those rascals! i tried my t mobile sim,and was indeed able to make calls on my unlocked s-on rezound. im really wondering what the plan for this phone is,with the gsm radios,yet they obviously dont want users to access it here in the us now that the cat is out of the bag :eek:

i believe the pkmn rom will unleash some of this newfound gsm compatibility,possibly even allowing mms to work

beat me to the punch on the leak. i was just comin here to link it,lol :itsme:

chknhwk likes this.
  15. howardz2

howardz2 Member
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    Scott,

This 3rd ICS leak is probably worthy of its own thread.

You may have the honors.

Regards,

Howard

P.S. Did you easily get DATA and SMS working with T-Mobile?

16. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    chknhwk likes this.
  17. al23

al23 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Scientific Review Officer
    Columbia, MD
    I am new to the Rezound. I will likely root in a month or so. In the mean time I will be asking noob questions and getting flamed for it. One noob question: what is S-on and S-off? Googling this has not helped.

My general impression is that it is harder to root the Rezound than it is the bionic (my previous phone). Or maybe it seems that way because I have to unlock the bootloader first. It also seems that I have to ensure the kernel (had to look that one up) is compatible with the rom.

Thanks for your patience.....

18. howardz2

howardz2 Member
    None

Apr 17, 2012
    You will find beginner threads about rooting - and Scotty has one that should go over the details. On another site is a Hansoon's all in one program which tries to make it even easier for people new to the HTC rezound.
    Rooting is done as follows:
    1. Unlock the bootloader by following instructions at htcdev.com I had great difficulty with htcdev.com and did it many times unsuccessfully. Turned out it did not like my registered email account. I tried many email accounts until it finally worked and emailed me the unlock.bin file.
    2. Replace the stock recovery program with RA ramon recovery.
    3. Boot into RA recovery and from the developer menu select the rooting option - very simple.

Phones come from HTC with S-ON. I think it stands for security-on. By turning security off, one has full access to the phone. The most practical of these is it is easier to flash kernels and also the capability to flash modified boot loader and also the radio firmware. With S-ON also comes increased risk of bricking the phone. One needs to always check the MD5 checksums of files one flashes, and also to be using the correct file for your device and firmware. One needs to be htcdev unlocked and rooted before even attempted the jBear S-OFF procedure.

I would not say it is more difficult to root compared to a Motorola phone, but there are more things to learn and be concerned about: S-OFF, kernels, radio firmware, unlocked bootloader.

I think Scott is dedicated to helping new people, and you will find more appropriate threads here to read and ask questions.

Regards,
    Howard

al23 and scotty85 like this.
  19. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    OK - so I flashed this baby last night. NO GO. Those guys did an amazing job porting Sense 4.0 to this phone and making everything "work", but the overall feel of the ROM was just a little, I don't know, delayed. I would hit an icon and it wouldn't do anything for a moment, then go into whatever I wanted it to go into. I couldn't go into recent apps w/out that screen closing almost immediately. And then at some point I restored apps using TiBu and the whole phone just locked up. I gave up. Maybe I'll try again at a later date, but for now Clean Rom 4.4 works for me.

I also flashed Clean Rom 1.4 Dev edition and I missed Sense so I nuked it. I figured that would be the case but I wanted to give it a shot anyway.

That's my story. I think I'm sticking with 4.4 for awhile...maybe :D

scotty85 likes this.
  20. al23

al23 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Scientific Review Officer
    Columbia, MD
    Thanks for your explanations. i looked at the beginning root thread and others. They were all extremely helpful. i just could not get a handle on the whole s-on and s-off thing. And, apologies for asking this question in the wrong thread.

I have rooted the Rezound already and installed amon-ra, but uninstalled when I realized this would affect me receiving the OTA that was DEFINITELY GOING TO HAPPEN YESTERDAY (written dripping with sarcasm)... :).

Anyway, I can use Hansoon's tool or open a command cmd prompt to install CWM or Amon-ra, so I am okay with that too. Day by day, I am learning more about this phone. Thanks for your help. And thanks Scotty85...

scotty85 likes this.
Tags: