1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New LG Motion Right Out Of The Box !

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OhhSoActive, Dec 22, 2012.

1. OhhSoActive

OhhSoActive Newbie

My question is should i install the software update? I read about peoples speeds getting slower is that real or just paranoia?

Too update or not to update.. That is the question.. :p

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

My advice, don't do an OTA update, instead follow this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4996682

3. OhhSoActive

OhhSoActive Newbie

4. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert

Immediately after my update, my 4g speed did decrease on average. Over the last few weeks though, it's improved and better than ever. Averaging 6-7 megabits down now in Mountain View, from an average of 3-4 a few months ago.

5. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

OTA is around 30MBs
    Updating via PC is over 500 MBs.

The OTA and PC updating both install the same things, but the OTA is not optimized and I heard that it leaves duplicate files behind and this causes lag. The PC updating doesn't do this and is optimized.
    The update is still rootable with the same method.

6. Matthew83

Matthew83 Android Enthusiast

:eek: I wish I knew about this before I updated via OTA! I have noticed some lag here and there but I thought it was just from some rouge app (still might be) but I have a horrible feeling it is because of the OTA update.

7. OhhSoActive

OhhSoActive Newbie

Sounds good, about to get this done right now. :)

I hope my speeds don't drop cause i'm LOVING this 4g. :D

8. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

You can still use my unbrick guide to fix that :) just flash the 10d firmware I put up.

If the speeds do drop, you can revert by following my unbrick guide and downloading the 10c firmware and flashing it.

Sepero and Matthew83 like this.
  9. TheAmazingDave

TheAmazingDave Android Expert

If there was, in fact, a radio update included, it was surely to prepare for T-Mo's network take-over (IMO) and there may be a point where the upgrade is necessary for proper 4G operation on the new network.

My hunch, anyways...

10. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior

Its not like we would have to change spectrum bands, so it probably would just be a real big PRL update

11. Matthew83

Matthew83 Android Enthusiast

Thanks. I figured I could do that but my brain is on vacation and I'm not sure if it is ever coming back.

:coffee:

12. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

I upgraded my last LG Motion 4G, and it showed no noticeable difference or improvement. It did however take up a bit more internal storage. I had it replaced for a defect and I'm not upgrading this one.

Please let me know if anyone figures out how to stop it from asking to upgrade. (other than reflashing the firmware)

13. Davolt

Davolt Newbie

I upgraded via OTA and to me is much faster then before.

14. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid

There's an apk called fota or lgfota or something like that in /system/apps. I saw a post of someone else removing it to stop the pop up.
    You could add a line to your script that asks whether you want to remove OTA updates or not. But the best thing to do would be to freeze it IMO.

15. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru

Agreed completely. Easier is always better :D

LG Motion 4G Forum

The LG Motion 4G release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews