• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New LIVE Folders ...

justjimjpc

Premium Member
Nov 3, 2008
Washington DC, USA
Android Phones to Get Live Folders App
By Chris Crum - Tue, 03/17/2009 - 14:11

Live Updates on Google Phones

Full Article Link

Google Android phones are about to get a new feature called Live Folders. This will come with Android's "cupcake" update according to Better Android.

Basically the folders accommodate real-time live updates. The following video showcases an example of what Live Folders can do with Digg:

"With real-time live updating folders such as these, it's easy to imagine how any web site could take advantage of this feature," says Sarah Perez at Read Write Web. "Live updating RSS feeds or top stories from your favorite news source? Yes! Real-time stock quotes or fantasy football updates? Sure! And that may only be the beginning...the potential is there to expand the technology into other applications, too. For example, a live-updating RSS reader."

Android app developers can already start developing apps for live folders. Better Android points to some example demos up on (link >> :)

Google Code

right now.

Coming from the world of video surveillance and forensics, this will undoubtably be of great interest to the organisation I work for. At the moment we have object extraction and identification software that monitors suspicious activity via live video feeds.

If I am correct in thinking, our software could present itself to these "live" folders and alert customers who have an android device of any suspicious activity in the organisation they are already monitoring via our software.

My yearly review is looming, and this will be my next new project to guarantee myself another 12 months of glorious salary in these difficult times. Thank you Google

Edit: This will also require our customers to have or purchase an android phone, but considering the cost of our software this will be pocket change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones