1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New market:D

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by androidlover14, Dec 11, 2010.

1. androidlover14

androidlover14 Android Enthusiast

Google it. Market version 2.2.6.
    Does not bring paying through your carrier:(.
    But thoughts on the new market.
    I think its amazing.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Apparently you get a whopping 15 MINUTES to refund an app if you don't like it. Absurd. No way can an app be properly evaluated in 14 minutes. :mad:

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  3. VZWguyNH

VZWguyNH Member

yeah they need to get it AT LEAST an hour... 24 hours was perfect amount of time.. it lets you get used to the app and see how your really gonna use it..I mean what if i get distracted and have something else i have to take care of right then and there... then i screwed... They say its for the developers because some of them were complaining.. IF YOU MAKE A GOOD APP YOU WONT GET RETURNS! THATS HOW IT IS IN ALL FORMS OF BUSINESS! Give us out 24 hours back!

4. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast

Really...I do not understand why people are bitching about the 24 hour to 15 min period. Sure it is a really big difference, but I have never asked to have an app refunded. Sure I have apps that I paid for and I do not use, but the 0.99 or 1.99 isnt that big of a deal. Also, you should know if you want the app or not almost right away.

5. JMF_Droid

JMF_Droid Well-Known Member

I really like the update. I just manually forced it a minute ago, and I'm pleased. The UI is amazing looking. I love how the combined the open/uninstall, comments, rating, related apps, developer info all on one screen. Also like the way it tells you from which category the app came from. It's very slick, IMO.

6. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Android Enthusiast

anyone get it to install on LFY 1.95?

7. androidlover14

well I have never paid for an app so frankly I dont care. But still I think that it shouldn't take you 15 minutes to decide if you want it or not.

8. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Android Enthusiast

is this new in the 2.2.1 update?

9. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

I understand why you don't understand. I've asked for refunds well after 15 minutes.

Apps aren't limited to $1.99 in price.

Depends on the app. Not all are that simple and easy to test.

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Android Expert

Honestly, I don't even buy apps and I think the new Market is crap. The UI is just so counterintuitive and against everything that Google normally makes. The old Market was simple and there were tabs so that you didn't have to flick your finger across the screen like a madman to get to the bottom. Why would they put everything on one long page? That's like if I ordered a book and it came on one big sheet of parchment. But I know now that I will DEFINITELY stick with only free apps because if I only have 15 minutes to try it out, I'll feel even less confident making purchases.

I don't understand what Google is doing with its UIs lately. I was originally very worried because I think Gingerbread's new status bar icons look horrible, and now I'm even more concerned about this horrible Market. I'll have to make sure to keep an .apk of the version that most of us have right now; the one that does have the Related tab, but that's still in tab format.

11. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast

^^this

Plus, sometimes you don't have time to play with an app right away but you want to buy it while you remember, so you can say, test it that night when you get home.

I think 15 minutes is a bit excessive, 1 hour would be a little better.

12. androidlover14

13. androidlover14

or you can just hit uninstall updates for the market in the manage applications setting. But isn't that why a lot of devs have trial versions of their apps so you can see the work they have done and not pay for it.

14. shadowdude777

24 hours would be even better. I don't understand the purpose behind this. It doesn't help with app piracy or anything, if that's what they're concerned about. I could buy an app, copy the .apk somewhere else, and refund it in less than 5 minutes if I wanted to.

15. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Android Enthusiast

take tasker 4.99 I think...
    24 hrs barely gave you time to figure it out, but they did offer a 7 days trial then you had to upgrade/buy..

They made the changes cause you could d/l an app. back it up with tibu and then return it?

16. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Or Titanuim Backup paid. Takes awhile to do a batch backup/restore and figure out all the settings (it still needs a tutorial for it). I know I couldn't fully evaluate it in 15 minutes.

17. Supposedly it is because with the 24 hours many people are pirating the app and then getting a refund so which is why they changed the refund time

18. androidlover14

that would make sense.

19. carassius

carassius Well-Known Member

Anyone having trouble forcing the update? I downloaded the apk trying several different sources, click it, open app manager, upgrade, install, and then I get "Application not installed."

I am rooted running custom ROM but haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Any suggestions?

20. shadowdude777

Clearly you're not reading the rest of the thread. 15 minutes is more than enough time to do this. 5 minutes is, too. It's just a simple copying of the apk from its protected folder (not so protected if you have root) and then going back into the Market and returning the app.

21. Yes but it just puts less time for people to do it obviously any amount of time is enough thanks captain obvious. That still is one of the main reasons for the change.

22. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Just downloaded the new market, and I love it. I got to say it looks absolutely amazing!

23. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast

One of the reasons I read was that in 24 hours, people can use the app for the intended purpose and then return it. I'm sure "piracy" played a role, but I also saw this as a reason. I know there are a few specific apps that I don't use all that often, and could see getting it, using it for my purpose, and then returning it. I wouldn't actually do this because I pay/donate for every app that has the option, but i could see how others might do it.

Also, supposedly google's research showed that most people return within 15 minutes hence the new tight window.

24. Danielson2047

Danielson2047 Android Enthusiast

Just titanium backup refund, refund, and then restore if its that big a deal. Just remember, karma's a b%$#@.

25. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Android Expert

First of all, people complaining about the 15 minute return policy, that is longer than most other app stores and at least the Android Market has a return policy. There are a number of reasons why they had to do this and was a request MADE BY the developers. This was not a Google thing. Apparently, one reason extended by developers, particularly those who do games, was that people were buying games, finishing them, and then returning them all in one day. The other reason was piracy. Either way, you could say that a few bad apples ruin the batch. In other words, there are end-users likely abusing the system that caused the change that affects the whole of the Android community. Blame them, not Google.

Secondly, as for my reaction to the Market, I think it looks better, for sure. Landscape is definitely better. UX is different and I'm sure after using it a while, it'll be like second nature. I can't say that it is better or worse, functionally than the old one. Aesthetics don't make an app better if the function is still poor. I think the security font should go back to the orange-red color than going to black because it'll stand out better. The cover-flow for the featured apps is nice, but I still think that Google needs do a better job of featuring apps. Also, where is the new categories for "Live Wallpaper" and "Widgets"? I thought that was to be a part of it, but I can't find it.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews