1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New Market - No longer automatic updating

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ralphtrent, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ralphtrent

ralphtrent Member
    None

Mar 8, 2010
    I have the new market via manual install, and since then my apps that are set to automatic update no longer update automatically.

Anyone else have this issue?

Advertisement

2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    personally, I think it is a good thing - auto update turned on should not be the default setting. so often, an update breaks an app so I always watch the comments after an update and if they are good, I update and if not, I do not.

anyway, why not just go into each app and check the "allow automatic updating" box?

3. ralphtrent

ralphtrent Member
    None

Mar 8, 2010
    That's the issue, that box is checked and still the apps are not automatically updating.

don't that this as I am being an a$$, just clarifying the issue :)

I understand what your saying about the broken apps issue, but these developers are pretty good to quickly correct broken update (except WHERE)

4. Lock-N-Load

None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    ahh.. I see. I never have them checked so cannot confirm they are working or not.

5. allanlaw

allanlaw Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, California
    Except where they break them on purpose, i.e., Pandora now wanting access to your contacts list. If an app update would change permissions, does the auto - update feature dutifully update the app, or does it present a warning first? I don't know since, like Lock, I don't use that feature.

6. Lock-N-Load

None

Feb 8, 2010
    won the lottery
    WestSiiiide
    Shazam is another great example. They went from endless searches to like a 5 a month limit. so, I do NOT want the new one. If I allowed auto-update..

Funny thing is, there are actual oder versions of apps I like more than newer versions.

Another great example, I use Handcent and a lot of people say there are MMS sending and receivng issues with newer versions, I still have a version 4 versions old. I also kept a 3 version old version of Google Maps as the newer ones had functions added and removed I did not want.

As for devs "fixing" things when broken, this can be very slow given so many phone types, ROMs, OS versions, etc - they are often not fast enough for me to fix it so I would rather keep an older version proven to work for me.

tech327 likes this.
  7. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    I believe that when an update would add additional permissions, it requires a manual update. I've definitely seen apps that are set to auto-update listed as "Update (Manual)" in the Downloads section, and updating it manually brings up the permissions screen.