• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Maxx help please

Rich_NY

Apr 21, 2011
My wife and I both got the Maxx today. I'm having trouble moving contacts and content (notes, saved messages). I'm from HTC evo design 4g, she had an IPhone 4s. Also when I tried to set up my contacts, some moved to both phones. Is there somewhere I can get help? I was on hold with tech support, waiting for a rep for 40 minutes before I hung up. Thanks.

My wife and I both got the Maxx today. I'm having trouble moving contacts and content (notes, saved messages). I'm from HTC evo design 4g, she had an IPhone 4s. Also when I tried to set up my contacts, some moved to both phones. Is there somewhere I can get help? I was on hold with tech support, waiting for a rep for 40 minutes before I hung up. Thanks.

Do you have your contacts saved in Google/gmail? If so, they should upload to your new phones.

Upvote 0

The easiest, safest way with Android, and the way that I recommend, is for you each to have separate GMail accounts. When you set those up, then export your contacts from wherever they are stored now and import them to GMail contacts. Android works great, no matter which device you have, when you sync contacts (and calendars) with Google's GMail contacts and Google Calendar services. You'll never need to worry about syncing the phone with a computer, and if you are away from your computer and, for some reason, you need to factory reset the phone, you'll have your contacts in less than 10 minutes with network sync as long as you have a network connection.

So, did your wife sync her iPhone 4s contacts somehow? What sort of notes did she store on her iPhone - the built-in iOS notes, or was it another app?

As for the Evo, perhaps the best thing to do (for all of the items that you mention) is to install the Motorola Migrate app on the Evo https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate&hl=en and then use the app on the Maxx to move those items over.

Upvote 0
I tried the Migrate app, and it wasnt compatible with ETC Evo Design 4G

Ok, you can try this then.

Install the app SMSBackup+ on your Evo. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync

Use this app to log in to your GMail account. You can then use it to back up all of your SMS messages - by default, it goes into a label called "SMS" in GMail with messages marked read and archive. Install the same app on the Maxx, log in to your GMail account, and then use the app to restore your SMS messages. It will not restore any MMS (media) messages, but all of the plain text message conversations should be restored. (However, the MMS messages on the Evo will be backed up to GMail, so you'll be able to access them there.)

I believe that the Evo has an app called People to store contacts. I'll do some research and get back to you in a bit with a way to export contacts from the Evo and import them to your GMail contacts, which will sync down to the Maxx. If you want to experiment yourself, go into the menus in the People app and look for an option to export contacts to the SD card. On the SD card you should then find a file with the extension .csv, which you can copy to your computer and then use Gmail (from a web browser on the computer) to import to your GMail contacts.

That should be your SMS messages and contacts. Did you use a specific app for taking notes?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if I have my contacts on (went to store), if I can export text messages with moto migrate (figured it out) without messing with my contacts?

I'm not sure. I decided not to migrate anything when I bought mine, and start from scratch.

However, you can go into the People app right now and hit the menu control and then export your contacts to storage. That way you can try migrate and see what happens. If the contacts are ruined, you'll be able to wipe them all and then restore contacts from storage using the same process.

Upvote 0
New Question!!
I Need to find the calendar file on the MAXX as it says it is not sync-able-- If I can find it, throw it into box or drive and then open it in new phone. Just need to find the little rascal. I would also like to save the time of resetting all my alarms if I could find that file too:) I have my class periods set at all three of the high schools that I teach at and which day as they are different on different days- twood save headaches!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones