1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General New member i have a few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brackenlamb, Jul 24, 2013.

1. brackenlamb

brackenlamb Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Just bought my first smart phone a galaxy ace 2 .
    It is on a pay as you go and this allows me a certain amount of data usgae etc.
    I have successfully connected the wifi to my home network.
    I am worried that my phone is always connected to the internet when i am out and that i will be using up all my credit (data allowance )

Is there any setting that i need to switch on or off ?
    I had a look in the running services and there seems to be a long list of things running
    google services
    software update
    factory client
    syncIDS
    software update
    social hub
    social hub
    sec phone
    accuweather
    yahoo finance
    yahoo news

to name but a few

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to the forums!

Common things that drain the battery:

Any weak signal will cause battery loss. When a phone/tablet detects a weak signal, it will send more power to the radio to boost its ability to connect to that signal (I think).

Similarly any drop from 4G->3G will cause the phone/tablet to look for a 4G connection, also causing battery drain for sure. The same is true for WiFi -- if the connection gets dropped, the phone/tablet will work a little harder to find it.

Best bet is to use something like Tasker and/or some widgets to really control when any battery draining activity is taking place.

Battery draining activities include:

-The screen being on
    -3G/4G
    -WiFi
    -Bluetooth
    -Background data sync
    -Any large data transfer or frequent screen redrawing (eg the surfing the web with the browser)

Auto sync is a huge resource hog. Weather, Gmail, Facebook etc. I have mine all set to syn only on demand. Saves huge amounts of battery.

3. brackenlamb

brackenlamb Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks , im not too worried about the battery drain , maybe i should be , more worried about it connecting to the internet when i dont know about it ,
    what is the sync on demand ?

4. Smokey Mc Pot

Smokey Mc Pot Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2013
    Hi,
    Smart phones now a days rely on the Internet to function properly.
    You really need data to truly enjoy the full potential of your phone.

*But you can allways slide the top bar and turn (on and off) the "mobile data" and the "WiFi". In order to save data usage.

If you are on pay&go ?
    I suggest you to think about using some special data deal from your network provider.
    Some networks give you deals called (All you can eat data) for as little as

5. brackenlamb

brackenlamb Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    I just want the option to switch it on and off easily , not sure how to?

6. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Pull your notification tab down and there may be a toggle to turn your mobile data on and off.

If not, go into your settings, "more" under wireless and networks, then choose mobile network and it will give you an option to turn off your mobile data.

It may be slightly different because I don't own your device, going by how i go about it on mine.

Or an even easier way, download a data toggle widget and place it on one of your home screens to easily toggle the data on and off

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler

That's what I used before I switched to sprint allowing me unlimited data.

Hope this helps you and answers your question.

7. wigfield

wigfield Android Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2013
    Male
    Just the question i was going to ask,Glad i did a search first,Why do you need the data turned on whats its real funtion? I will only ever be using the wireless part of the phone never the mobile internet part.

8. jons76

jons76 Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2013
    Mobile data is where you use your network internet.. If you let it on it will automatic connect to the internet. Coz there are some apps that runs in the background that use internet connection. But you can put it off.. On ace running on gingerbread the only shortcut is when you hold the power button then de.activate the mobile data.. Or go to the settings then wireless setting then mobile data.. Hope that help.

9. wigfield

wigfield Android Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2013
    Male
    Cheers just wanted to know,I shall double check its turned off.

10. DSSmobile

DSSmobile Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2012
    Devon UK
    Try the Battery Doctor app - it really works and its free!!!

11. chase10

chase10 Lurker
    None

May 12, 2013
    Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile networks: turn off Use packet data when you don't want to be connected to the internet via your carrier.

Scroll back up to Wi-Fi settings and keep Wi-Fi turned off and/or disallow automatic configuration of new wireless networks when you're out and around and don't need an internet connection, don't want your phone searching for a Wi-Fi connection.

-- c

12. j800r

j800r Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2013
    Male
    England
    Personally (and I know this digresses from the topic) I don't even feel they should sell smartphones on Pay and Go because a solid data connection is needed CONSTANTLY for adequate function. Only ever use it in the house? Get a tablet or an iPod Touch or something similar. Don't really use apps and the likes and just want calls and texting? Don't bother with a smartphone and just get a regular one which will be a LOT cheaper and is far better for Pay and Go tariffs.

When it comes to smartphones the most important thing is the data. Bar none. That's why I feel smartphones should only be available on contract, cause then you have a constant stream of data. Yes, you often have limited allowances, but once you've used up your allowance rather than switching off your data will usually just be throttled which means at least there's still SOME data passing through the phone.

As for actually staying on topic I can't really answer the questions as they've already been answered perfectly. :p