1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New member, new captivate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdguy55, Jun 4, 2011.

1. sdguy55

sdguy55 Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Hey guys, when alltel switched to at&t (in sd, which was just a couple months ago) i got an aria, switching from a blackberry. First off WAY better than a blackberry but the battery life was ATROCIOUS, could maybe get 5 hours out of it. Then i started looking for answers and found rooting, first time i rooted it to cm7 and LOVED it, battery life was TONS better and i loved the speed, but then i got an offer to get a captivate for 50$ so i decided to switch to that and now i can confidently say this is the best phone i have owned. But i want to make it better. So a couple questions
    1) My GPS does not work at all, no lock, nothin. Tried to get into the settings by entering in the passcode and it just deletes the number doesnt bring me to any options.
    2) Since i rooted my Aria with cm7 and thought it was decent enough but i was kind of looking at Firefly. Any suggestions?
    3) Now i have watched videos on quite a few different ROMS (serendipity, firefly, pheonix, cm7) but what are some MAJOR differences between these? Alot of them, to me, look the same. Most important things to me are battery and custom look and feel to it. Also to fix the damn GPS.
    4) Any apps you guys would recommend to really set the phone off?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Android Forums.

What version of Android are you running? The GPS issue was supposed to be fixed with the 2.2 update although a bad antenna isn't out of the question. You may want to go over to the Captivate All Things Root forum and see what they have to say about custom roms.

Recommending apps is like recommending food or movies. Without knowing your tastes it's almost impossible to tell what you will like. Just for utility purposes, get a file manager like Astro or ES Files. You'll probably want a backup app like Titanium as well. Other than that, what do you want to do with your phone?

3. sdguy55

sdguy55 Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    1) I am running 2.2
    2) Since i have a netflix account i guess that would be nice to have the ability to download on the new rom. And like i said i just want a rom that is stabile (cm7 seemed quite stable to me on my aria) is faster, better battery life, and probably most of all is a different look and feel from the stock phone. Firefly has really caught my attention as it is the most 'different' looking one.
    Edit- When i first got the phone i tried to do the 'update software' and it froze, and it also has a tendency to freeze with pandora. Just thought i would mention it.

4. sdguy55

sdguy55 Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Just saw the screenshots for serendipity7. WOW. looks great. And after a lil researching on xda developers (yes i HAVE been doing research) i finally found out where i can see the 'differences' between the roms. But i would still appreciate any feedback i can get from you guys on which ROM's you feel would be best right now the frontrunners for me are
    1) Firefly
    2) Serendipity
    3) CM7

5. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Serendipity. Because I don't settle.

Stable: 6.4
    Sorta stable (dust still settling): 7

6. Tallsilver

Tallsilver Member
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    Serendipity!!!!!!!!!! :p

7. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Trenton, MI.

All the way!!! ^^

8. 4N6science

4N6science Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    unemployed
    Richmond, VA
    Mosaic III - Diet, soon to be Mosaic IV is an awesome gingerbread rom. It's brought to you by the same guys who made firefly. So if you want that kind of customization then Mosaic might be your bet. It's really stable and just an overall great rom.