1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New member

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Gouldendays, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Gouldendays

Gouldendays Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2016
    Male
    Hello - I'm a newish Android user and looking for simple guidance.

Originally I had an iPhone and ipad but over the past couple of years have moved to Samsung. I have been used to photos taken with the iPhone to sync via the apple account and appear on the other device. Now I have 2 Android devices how does this work? I'm not a technology novice and find this very frustrating!

I've tried the Samsung link app but this doesn't appear to be available for an S5.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Welcome to Android Forums!

If you have Google Photos on your devices, your pictures can be synced to the cloud and viewable on all Android devices. The benefit is two-fold: your pictures are in the cloud, so a broken phone won't result in lost photos. And all Android devices using the same Google account can see the photos... or you can share them at will (or not). I hope this helps.

It's great to have you here :)

3. Gouldendays

Gouldendays Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2016
    Male

Great thanks for that advice. I'll have a look and see. It has lots of Google apps pre installed.

4. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    Google Photos is fine for synchronizing photos to the cloud so that they can be ACCESSED (via app or web browser) from various Android devices, but I don't think it actually synchronizes the photos to a PC or Mac for (offline) local storage.

If you want your photos to sync with a cloud storage account (like Google Drive, OneDrive, Mega, Box, et al) and also automatically sync the files to your PC/Mac, then you may want to consider installing a sync app (like AutoSync, Synchronize Ultimate, GDriveSync, & FolderSync) and then put a corresponding cloud account app on your PC/Mac (like Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Mega, et al).

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    This was years ago. Nowadays cloud storages download your photo files to PC directly if you enable it on their settings without need for any other app or PC program.

6. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    No. It's impossible for a cloud storage service to download photos to your PC without a sync program running on the PC or without you manually downloading photos through a web interface. That's why all of the major cloud services have PC/Mac syncing apps. Pretty much the only way to sync your Google Photos to your PC/Mac is by linking Google Photos to Google Drive and installing the Google Drive syncing program to your PC/Mac.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I meant the use of third party apps like those you mentioned in your previous post.