• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Memory card and setting up..

Yes "Mount USB mass storage" is a seperate option that takes you to a new screen. When you are in that screen, it is mounted. Coming out of that screen unmounts.

I personally plug it in when GPARTED LIVE CD is going through all the key mapping and language bits. That way when the GUI opens, it should already be detected.

I dont plug it in before that though as sometimes on my lapdog, it prevents it booting.

EDIT> are you just trying to delete the partition in the 8GB?

Apparently sometimes just formatting the SD card in phone deletes it

yea im doing it on the 8GB memory card

Upvote 0
Yes "Mount USB mass storage" is a seperate option that takes you to a new screen. When you are in that screen, it is mounted. Coming out of that screen unmounts.

I personally plug it in when GPARTED LIVE CD is going through all the key mapping and language bits. That way when the GUI opens, it should already be detected.

I dont plug it in before that though as sometimes on my lapdog, it prevents it booting.

EDIT> are you just trying to delete the partition in the 8GB?

Apparently sometimes just formatting the SD card in phone deletes it

thanks for your help dan...it worked fine...I deleted both the ext 3 and fat 32 partitions.....though now gotta wait till my music has copied onto my NEW memory card so I can use gparted again to just fix the 8GB...I think removing the fat 32 partition and NOT formatting it or anything windows/phone wont register it lol...whoops...

Upvote 0
I use a microsd/usb memory card adaptor and partion mine on there, copy the stuff back, then pop it back into the phone.

that only helps if you have either a spare card reader or card slot on your computer....which in my case DOESNT work....my card slot on my laptop doesnt work...and I only have the one card adaptor lol

Upvote 0
I only have 1 card reader. I create a folder on the desktop, backup the card complete including clockwork directory. Then I boot up gparted, insert new card and partition and format. Then I boot back to windows, copy back everything to sd card, insert into phone boot into recovery and restore.

It's a bit long winded I know, but it works for me.

Upvote 0
i bought the 16gb pny sd class 10 card off play.com, it came unbranded but to be honest it works fantastic, i just bought myself 2 card readers from the pound shop, put the new 16gb into 1 and my old 8gb into the other and copied them across, popped the card back into the phone, ran the nandroid restore and everything went spot on. and its running just as fast as my class 6 card, no problems at all, its a bargain at

Upvote 0
Yep you can, it loads into RAM.

you know...be glad your in leeds dan....cos you would not hear me swearing right now...cos bloody hell I wish I knew that before hand...

not for the 8GB card thing but for when I was doing the partitions in the first place..

you see my two readers I have are chunky bastards that cover a second USB port (as the ports are not side by side but one on top the other on my laptop) and on one side of the machine the damn power cable hinders the other 2 usb ports...so it would of made things so much god damn easier to know I could of just pulled the card after it loaded lol

Upvote 0
LOL, I didn't even realise that TBH, although I knew it didn't write anything back to disc etc, as it runs from a CD.

Only reason I was posting is that others read these forums, and different people find different ways of doing things, some people may find one way easier, some a different way.

And that's 2 things I've learnt this evening from this thread too!

Upvote 0
To be fair I was confident but I tested in in vmware before responding just to make absolute sure ;)

well however you went bout it dan, you still knew it in the first place regardless of having actually done it or not..

but yea now my phone is running like a beast again...top notch...and ok im still running an older leedroid 2.3d still but I dont see any reason to change right now to be fair...

I DID for about 12 hours go to the newest GV and yea actually it werent TOO bad, it did run a lil sluggish at times and I STILL hate that f*cking browser...I prefer the older froyo/HTC webkit browser not the one in GV cos it occasionally glitches in landscape mode with the address bar...but overall GV aint TOO bad..

I still prefer my leedroid though :p

Upvote 0
GV is a great rom. I like the stock browser. The appearance took some getting used to though.

I just like the fact that it doesn't taake as many steps as the HTC one to close and open a new window if for example you dont want to be able to go "back" to a secure site you were on before like a banking site.

HTC. Menu>Windows>open a new window>select old window> close window
Stock. Menu>Windows>close window

Upvote 0
true, BUT for me thats a sacrifice I can make do with if ONLY to not have the glitchy address bar when your in landscape view....thats two GV roms now...1 and 2.3 (or whatever the LATEST GV) is now....they both glitched in landscape view where you have 'two' address bars except ones only partly formed above the other...

I do think its where the notification bar is 'trying' to come through or something..doesn't happen all the time but its dammed annoying when it does..

Upvote 0
well it could just be certain sites or times like when flipping it to landscape...cos I cant see it being my phone....as it was two different versions of GV at two seperate times..maybe its just small occasional glitches...

but its enough for me to put it on the list of reasons why I took it back off....

the only REAL thing I miss from GV is the auto unlock when you punched in a pin with the 'STANDARD' android lock screen......on froyo/sense you have to hit ok after punching your pin in...or password too im guessing....but with GV once you punched it in it automatically unlocked without pressing ok..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones