• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NEW! MetroPCS rate plans for 2013. thoughts??

They don't have the spectrum for that. So really it's impossible. That'll change with the merger though
it would be impossible as long as metro's spectrum is divided amongst LTE and CDMA. they could pull it off with what they have if they went through with the VoLTE project.

merging with T-mobile will be even better for them though as they'll have consistency, speed, and access to better phones.

Upvote 0
it would be impossible as long as metro's spectrum is divided amongst LTE and CDMA. they could pull it off with what they have if they went through with the VoLTE project.

merging with T-mobile will be even better for them though as they'll have consistency, speed, and access to better phones.

- There is only 2.3 million people on LTE & most of them probably don't even have a phone that's VoLTE capable.
- The average amount of spectrum the other carriers have devoted to LTE is about 20MHz. 20MHz is about all the spectrum metro has in most markets, except Dallas & Vegas I believe they have more. So they may devote to LTE 3MHz or 6 & in a few markets 10 but they wouldnt devote more anytime soon.
Why I said that would all change with the tmobile merger is because tmobile has even 90MHz in some markets & I think the minimum they have in some markets is 30MHz & both will go up after the merger.
- Some people on tmobile have said they got LTE in Kansas City & right now they have the same spectrum configurations as Metro (5x5MHz) but they're reporting 35mbps

Upvote 0
- There is only 2.3 million people on LTE & most of them probably don't even have a phone that's VoLTE capable.
- The average amount of spectrum the other carriers have devoted to LTE is about 20MHz. 20MHz is about all the spectrum metro has in most markets, except Dallas & Vegas I believe they have more. So they may devote to LTE 3MHz or 6 & in a few markets 10 but they wouldnt devote more anytime soon.
Why I said that would all change with the tmobile merger is because tmobile has even 90MHz in some markets & I think the minimum they have in some markets is 30MHz & both will go up after the merger.
- Some people on tmobile have said they got LTE in Kansas City & right now they have the same spectrum configurations as Metro (5x5MHz) but they're reporting 35mbps

5x5 wont give you those kind of speeds real world, it will be faster sprints is 5x5 and around 19mbps. the reason why so fast is because not many are using it :)

Upvote 0
Are you guys talking about mbps?

I'm on 3mhz.

Lawl... I'm on 5Mhz....

I remember when I was on 3MHz I would average 2-4 but now on 5MHZ I average 7-12

3MHz is my DL BW :/

They are talking about Mhz. ;)

Mhz is the spectrum from which LTE operates in. Such as a 10x10 or 20x20 network. (Up and Down) The higher the Mhz the higher the Mbps. Metro was supposed to be extending their network to 10x10. Not sure if they actually did or not as I haven't kept up with it. But T mobile did promise a 20x20 LTE network with Metro PCS which was announced mid last year.

Upvote 0
They are talking about Mhz. ;)

Mhz is the spectrum from which LTE operates in. Such as a 10x10 or 20x20 network. (Up and Down) The higher the Mhz the higher the Mbps. Metro was supposed to be extending their network to 10x10. Not sure if they actually did or not as I haven't kept up with it. But T mobile did promise a 20x20 LTE network with Metro PCS which was announced mid last year.

O OK it just seemed like they where comparing mbps or I had missed a joke somewhere

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been on the website for a while, but Metro finally put a link about some FAQ's regarding the merge with T-Mobile.

Unlimited Wireless Service - MetroPCS T-Mobile Combo&faq-menu=MetroPCS and T-Mobile

You'll have to copy and paste the link (the spaces are supposed to be there)

Edit: Just clicking the hyperlink works too :D

I think they put this up there when they announced the merger. But I don't remember reading a couple of the FAQ so maybe its different then what I'm thinking of or even a revision of what was up there.

Upvote 0
i just got the text to pay my bill and they are still saying $55...does that mean im grandfathered in and wont see my bill going up to $60?

Yup your grandfathered, your plan will only change if you change it or they change the TOS to where you have to have a latest plan which they probably would never do since there would be much backlash.

Reactions: AP2FTW
Upvote 0
So I have a question on the new plans and grandfathering. I currently have an Samsung Admire, if I was to upgrade the phone to a Motion or some other 4G LTE phone, would that throw me into the new prices? Or since I am already on a smartphone vs generic would my price plan stay with the grandfathered rates and services?
you'll have to upgrade to a 4G plan if you want a 4G phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones