• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New microSD card

The transfer worked. thanks for the help but I see that I must have another issue.

After going from a 2GB to 16GB microSD card the phone still shows that it low on phone storage. It must be referring to internal phone storage. What do I need to do to fix this? Move things from the internal phone storage to the microSD card?

Upvote 0
The transfer worked. thanks for the help but I see that I must have another issue.

After going from a 2GB to 16GB microSD card the phone still shows that it low on phone storage. It must be referring to internal phone storage. What do I need to do to fix this? Move things from the internal phone storage to the microSD card?

Goto all apps and see if you can move the apps to sd card. No all apps would allow this. Some do, ie, Angry Bird.

Clear cache memory at each apps.

If you browse the web with the stock browser, clear the cache/data on it. When I had the OV, browser cache used to eat up lots of memory.

Upvote 0
Have you ever head of users that have run out of phone storage space? I was just wondering how likely it is to happen to me if I don't root.
Yes, it is very likely that you will run out of space and very quickly.

By the way, is there a reason more app developers don't make apps that can be transferred to a storage card?
There can be a number of reasons it isn't enabled; A new dev who doesn't know it can (or how) to enable it, the app has a widget, the app needs to start with the start up of the device. There are other reasons as well. Those are just a few I thought of off hand.

Upvote 0
A good solution to storage problems is take a good look at the apps themselves. Some apps such as news, search engines, shopping or store specific apps have mobile formatted websites that can be bookmarked in your browser. By bookmarking them instead of installing the actual app, you will save TONS of memory space for other things. Rooting your OV also helps to eliminate the pre-loaded junk you don't use anyway. Games can all be installed on your SD card to save space as well as any other apps that the native app management submenu will allow to move. (Settings>Applications>Manage Applications will get you into that submenu for the noobies.) My husband's OV running Backside IHO ROM runs 82 installed apps for business. That roster includes some hefty apps such as Kingsoft Office, Gang Book (a contact app for his 137 contacts!) Aol AIM, Box, Rom Toolbox and WinAmp and he's only used up about 55% of available space! The OV is a great phone, but living with it is about learning how to effectively manage YOUR stuff to your phone's advantage!

Upvote 0
A good solution to storage problems is take a good look at the apps themselves. Some apps such as news, search engines, shopping or store specific apps have mobile formatted websites that can be bookmarked in your browser. By bookmarking them instead of installing the actual app, you will save TONS of memory space for other things.

Good suggestion. Whenever you are installing an app browse their mobile site and ask yourself, "Do I need an app for this?" Many do the exact same thing as the mobile site, which is pointless.

Facebook's mobile site speeds along nicely but their app cripples my phone to a crawl. You lose the ability to share directly but you can go to Account Settings -> Mobile and use the post-by-email address to share via your email app.

I also think Twitter is too simple to warrant having an app so I use the web site + texting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones