• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help new N7 crashes to lockscreen and wont unlock

djand

Oct 1, 2012
hi - so i got my son the 32Gb nexus 7 for xmas and first thing i did was update to 4.2.1 and then load the spiderman game but during the loading of the game it crashed to the lock screen ( which at first i thought it just timed out as usual ) but then when trying to unlock it it simply went black and then came back on at the lock screen again???

now it keeps doing it all the time after random time periods? has any1 else seen this?

is there an email address for Google support uk as I brought it from Littlewoods and they dont want anything to do with it - thinking of getting trading standards involved as why should i have to go to Google myself when i brought it from them

thanks

My wife's new Nexus 7 does the same thing. It's working fine then all of a sudden the lock screen comes on and can't re-open it without re-booting. Also, we put on a case and when you set the Nexus on it's back on a table, the screen goes black. Pick up the device and touch the screen and it comes back on. Weird!!! Do you think we should return it for a new one? Still can do that at Staples.

Upvote 0
My wife's new Nexus 7 does the same thing. It's working fine then all of a sudden the lock screen comes on and can't re-open it without re-booting. Also, we put on a case and when you set the Nexus on it's back on a table, the screen goes black. Pick up the device and touch the screen and it comes back on. Weird!!! Do you think we should return it for a new one? Still can do that at Staples.

The lock screen baffles me tbh, but the other stuff is most likely due to your case having a magnet, which triggers the N7 auto-wake/sleep when you fold it all the way back and put a little pressure on. Come to think of it, that could be why your lock screen comes on as well. No idea about having to reboot tho.

@djand since you only tried installing one game yet and that's when it crashed, just do a factory reset, there's a very high chance it'll fix everything and you haven't really got any data to lose anyway.
Edit: nvm I see you tried that already. Uhm.. Do you by any chance... have a magnetic case? :eek:

Upvote 0
No magnet in the case and it did it before I even put a case on it too? I think these need to go back, staples should be ok but having trouble with littlewoods. Doesn't seem like a common issue.

Ours wake when the case opens which I always thought was the front face cam detecting motion?

Upvote 0
Ok so I'm sure there is no magnet in the case as its not that kind of design but I've took the nexus out of it and touch wood it's been fine all day. I'm going to put it back in the case and see if it plays up again once charged and let u know. I'll try detect any magnet too by putting the case against some metal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones