• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Nexus 7 vs Nexus 10

omega1234

Lurker
Jul 23, 2013
I'm a big technology fan, specifically tablets. IMO they're the future today and I'm very interested in picking up a Nexus device to add to my repertoire of powerful and portable devices (I was also considering pledging for an Ubuntu Edge, but I think I'll just do the $20 option). Right now, my stable consists of an IPad 2 (used for interacting with my beloved apple tv, occasionally reading, playing games, watching tv/movies), a kindle fire 1st gen (used almost exclusively for reading), Microsoft Surface RT (the newest of my devices used for an amazing gaming experience with the Xbox controller, occasional movie/tv watching, productivity, and web browsing which is an extremely enjoyable task on this large and beautiful device). Another large tablet may be overkill, but the screen and speakers are so tempting, especially since the surface seriously lacks in these two categories. I feel like the N10 would be a super fun device to use and would take media consumption to a whole new level. The new N7 (to hopefully be announced tomorrow) is very tempting due to the price, improved screen, portability, etc. I'm torn right now, let me know what you guys think, thanks!

This was written entirely on my Surface RT.

I have a couple of 10" tablets (a Transformer Prime and an old Archos), and neither have been used for months. I find the Nexus 7 is able to do everything the big tablets do and it's a much nicer size to hold. Within a few days of buying the N7 it made the 10" tablets redundant.

That said, there are still a few things that I use a 10" tablets for. Occasionally I use the tablets for reading comics, and comics are much nicer to read on the larger tablet because you can use a whole page and still keep the text legible. On the N7 at the whole page view the text is too small to read.

Upvote 0
We are similar in our love for technology. I too have an iPad2 (mainly for music, synths, etc.), a Win8 tablet (ASUS VivoTab Smart, I have no idea what do to with this thing, you may get a PM shortly), ASUS EEE Transformer and various Kindles and Nooks.

My N7 is the only one which is with me all the time. I take it everywhere. It's a reader, browser and game machine. I love the damn thing!

Upvote 0
I think 7 inches is a great size. The device feels like it wants to be used, whereas a larger tablet can feel awkward and unwieldy. I think I will probably get the next N10 this holiday season to round out my stable, though.

I was playing with the Nexus 7 v.2 in Staples earlier this evening. I've been using by v.1 every day since I got it last summer. The secret sauce to this tablet is the size. 7 inches are so much lighter and easier to use. Fits in small purses or (for you men) your jacket pockets.

The new version is taller, thinner and lighter. You really feel the thinness and lighter weight.

I also have a Note 8 tablet which gives me a bigger, brighter screen. Poorer resolution, but it's a decent trade off for the microSD card slot and stylus.

I also have a Surface RT. Works great as a work computer for me, but I'm much more an Android/Google girl. So I end up hauling my Asus Transformer (TF300) on trips. (Love the keyboard dock with extra ports and memory car slots.)

I gave up my iPad 2 a couple years ago. I hated the Apple ecosystem. iTunes corrupted my music library and crashed my Win PC too often to keep my sanity.

I predict you'll be loving the Nexus 7. Especially if you also picked up a Chromecast dongle. That's making all my devices so much more useful. (I use a Roku box and Plex Media Server instead of Apple TV.)

The Nexus 10 is a pretty device but IMHO pales in comparison to the other 10" tablets on the market. All come with microSD card slots. That's a must for me in 10" tablets. I find they primarily work as media players and content creators. I need storage. A measly 32GB just doesn't do it for me. Now if they release Nexus 10 with 64gb or 128gb I may take a closer look. For right now it's difficult to beat the Transformer line's synergy of tablet and dock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones