1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips New Note 3 user that needs help with a few things

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toronado97, Feb 11, 2014.

1. toronado97

toronado97 Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2014
    Hey all, first time posting here, so if I've missed the answers to these questions I apologize in advance. I'm loving the phone but there's some quirks that I can't quite figure out, and was hoping you all could help me with.

1. Every time I receive a text, my screen turns on. In previous versions of Android I've been able to turn this feature off, but I cannot seem to find it in this phone. Perhaps it's because I've always uses GoSMS, and it's simply not an option in stock Android? I'm not sure, but it's super irritating if I'm at work, receive a text, then accidentally unlock the phone. Putting a password on it is a solution, but I really don't want to do that to unlock it every time.

2. Same as #1 except with phone calls. Same thing, butt answering is never a good thing. Maybe I overlooked an entire section relating to this problem?

3. The screen seems to want to stay on while the phone charges as well. I have to physically turn it off to get it to go off, but I'll wake up through the night and the screen will be back on again randomly. Not sure what might be causing this, as I've installed no third-party apps yet except for Steam. Maybe a setting I'm missing?

4. A big one for me. On previous versions of Android browser and Chrome, I could check the "Request desktop site" box, and the page I was on would reload as the non-mobile site. This feature seems nonfunctional on my Note 3. I have checked the box in settings in the base browser for desktop view, and I've tried it in Chrome as well. Both browsers continue to load mobile sites even with that option checked. Perhaps there's a system setting that's overriding this somewhere, but if that's the case I can't seem to find it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look over this. I really appreciate any help you can provide helping me to figure some of this stuff out.

Advertisement

2. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    1) It's a Samsung thing and it can't be turned off...it has been my biggest complaint, since joining the Samsung family with the Note 2. If you're using goSMS, I believe there's a built in option to disable incoming texts from waking up the phone. I stopped using goSMS, since I had so many lag issues with it on the Note 2, so I've been using this app to prevent the phone from waking up on text messages and it works perfectly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.everythingandroid.smspopup

2) Hmmm...I've never actually thought about phone calls, so I don't really have advice for that one. I thought that maybe activating the "pop-up" for phone calls would prevent phone wake-up, but it doesn't. I know that my Motorola Photon and Evo 4G had "in pocket" detection, but even that didn't work that well with the built in function. I found this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kkeyser.android.pocketvibrations.trial
    But that's only the trial version. The full version is $1.00. I'm going to keep looking though and if I find another solution, I'll post it up.

3) If you put the phone on standby while charging, it'll still wake up when the phone is 100% charged. Usually, that's a safety mechanism to make sure they remove the phone from the charger when it hits 100. I know that many people charge their phone, over night, but not sure if there's a solution to keep the screen off when it hits 100. This isn't something that I necessarily would need, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an app out there that can prevent this.

4) Chrome and the stock browser (which, is in essence chrome) both don't support flash (this is new, to Samsung phones this year). If you request the desktop site by clicking the radial box, it should switch to the desktop site. The only exception would be if the website itself still forces the mobile browser view (which at that point, there should be a link at the bottom of the webpage that'll allow you to view the full desktop site). Other than that, I can't tell you why it's not working, as that seems to work fine for me. Majority of the time, I'm using Dolphin Browser with the flash plug-in because I prefer having flash enabled all the time.

3. toronado97

toronado97 Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the reply, and useful answers as well. I'll check out those apps and see if they'll do what I want. I agree with you about GoSMS, that's why I was looking for alternative solutions. I liked that app a lot when it first released, but it seems like it's steadily gone downhill since Go became such a popular app family.

The charging thing isn't that big of a deal to me, but yeah it's the overnight charging where it's an issue. I live with a bunch of cats so I'm waiting to wake up to a cat on top of the phone with Ali-Baba on speakerphone somehow heh. I no longer have my Nexus, but it's really weird that some of these sites don't work as desktop I guess. I can't compare obviously but I feel like there's definitely some sites I could visit on my Galaxy Nexus as desktop sites that the Note 3 simply refuses to load except as mobile. I'll have to do some more investigation into this.

4. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    It's not that they "don't" work, it's more-so that they try to force the mobile site (primarily so the general consumer doesn't complain about it being too difficult to navigate the desktop site). Quite honestly, I think they do this for iPhone folks (because of the small screen).

Anyhow, like I had mentioned, if you scroll down to the bottom of the sites that try forcing the mobile site, there is usually a clickable link to "full site" or "desktop site." That's on the actual mobile version of the site.

Another thing to keep in mind. The stock browser for the Galaxy Nexus supported Flash. Stock browsers on newer phones with jelly bean and up do not support flash, so it's possible that those sites you felt loaded automatically on your Galaxy Nexus (but not the Note 3) are the sites that had flash.

toronado97 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.