1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New on Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ashrin73, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ashrin73

Ashrin73 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Friends and Rooters --- I've rooted my Galaxy Y GT-S5360. The Su icon is in the applications list. I downloaded Whatsapp but I'm not able to give it Super-User Access..! Can anyone please help me how to give SU access to applications....! Many Thanks.....
    Ash

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Do you have a superuser app? That's how. The app (Whatsapp, in this case) asks su for root. su asks the superuser app if it's okay to do it. The superuser app returns your response, yes or no. The app should be something like Superuser or SupeSu.

Sepero likes this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Does whatsapp need root access? What for? (Sorry its been years since ive used it)
    Usually when an app wants root access for the first time, youll get a popup from SU or SuperSu asking you to grant it :thumbup:

4. Ashrin73

Ashrin73 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi friends.... thanks for your help...! Yeah I want to root Whatsapp... but I'm unable to do so...! The app does not ask permission and neither SuperSu shows Whatsapp as an app having Super User permission .... :thinking::thinking::thinking::mad::mad::mad: Dont know what to do?????

5. Ashrin73

Ashrin73 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    just one more silly question --- should I first root the phone and then install all other apps Or is it alrite to flash Odin later on..

6. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    Whatsapp doesn't require root access. You can only grant an app root access that requires it. Like titanium backup, set cpu etc. Those apps are examples of apps that need root access.

Since your rooted what do you need odin for? Unless you plan to flash a stock tar from odin you may want to wait on the apps.

Sepero likes this.
  7. Ashrin73

Ashrin73 Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi Dragonslayer thanks...! I'm buying a new Samsung Grand Duos --- OS is Android 4.2.2 Jellybean.... hence the quest

8. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Odin is a PC program that (among other things) lets you root the (samsung) phone and install a custom recovery :thumbup:

Sepero likes this.
  9. DestinatioN184

None

Feb 25, 2013
    Only apps that require the system files require root access. Whatsapp doesn't need system files for any reason. Apps like DragonSlayer had mentioned are ones that will request SuperSU access thus giving the apps the information and privileges needed to operate to it's full capacity.

Only give SuperSU root access to apps that you know are verified. Don't go downloading something that isn't on the play store and If it is, check reviews. You give an app access to root, It can literally do anything.

If you are more familiar with computers, you probably recognise different user account types on windows. For example, you have standard user and administrator. Stock phones come shipped with standard user installed. Rooting the phone simply gives the OS (Operating System) administrator privileges.

Hope This Helped!

Sepero likes this.
  10. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    @Ashrin:

You can't root an app, you can only modify Android so that apps that request root access can obtain it. ("Rooting" is just copying the file su to the phone - you can't copy a file to an app - not in that meaning of "copy to". Since you have no console from which to run the apps, you need an app like SuperUser or SuperSU to do what you'd normally be doing in, say, Linux - asking for root access from su.) An app that doesn't request root access can't tell whether the phone's been rooted or not - and it makes no difference to that app.

If you root the phone (you're not, really - see later), those apps that need root can obtain it. If you install the apps first, then root, the apps that need root can obtain it. Which one is done first is irrelevant - unless you haven't rooted the phone, install an app that requires root access and try to run it. Since you haven't yet rooted the phone, the app can't obtain root access, so it can't run.

You don't root an app, you don't root a file, you don't even root the phone, you root (in the Android sense) the operating system (the ROM). You modify the operating system so that it can grant root access to anyone ("one" includes apps) requesting it. Most modifications of *nix (Unix, Linux, BSD, etc.) include a method of obtaining root access, Android (for VERY good reasons) doesn't - which is why people "root their phones" (which usually falls into the "one of the worst ideas" column - there's almost no reason for 99,9% of people using smart phones to root them. (Almost - there are 2 or 3 sort of good reasons someone who knows almost nothing about cellphone internals might have for rooting. "My phone is rooted" isn't one of them.)

Sepero likes this.