• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ****NEW OTA 4.67.651.3 is out DO NOT ACCEPT IT****

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok so lets see where the phone is at now. make sure fastboot is unchecked, settings>apps>uncheck fastboot.next power off then press and hld power+vol down. this will take you to the bootloader. at the top of the screen it will give you your hboot and if you have s-on or s-off. report back with what you find.
Thanks!

SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.18.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
Mar 8 2011, 17:02:15

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well, we'd established that my phone was still rooted, so i went through the steps (wipe cache, dvalik cachec, data, boot into recovery) and flashed mikg3. my phone has rebooted and now all that is happening is a continuous pop up of the following errors: "the process andoid.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." & "The application Touch Input (process com.htc.android.htcime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." HELP!!!

*UPDATE*
I restored my nandroid backup I made this morning and the phone's back to how it was before flashing the rom-everything's working except wifi shows error. Glad I made that backup! Still curious as to what might have gone wrong? Expert opinions?

Upvote 0
well, we'd established that my phone was still rooted, so i went through the steps (wipe cache, dvalik cachec, data, boot into recovery) and flashed mikg3. my phone has rebooted and now all that is happening is a continuous pop up of the following errors: "the process andoid.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." & "The application Touch Input (process com.htc.android.htcime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." HELP!!!

*UPDATE*
I restored my nandroid backup I made this morning and the phone's back to how it was before flashing the rom-everything's working except wifi shows error. Glad I made that backup! Still curious as to what might have gone wrong? Expert opinions?
Which recovery are you using? If it's not RA, that's probably your issue.

Upvote 0
Which recovery are you using? If it's not RA, that's probably your issue.

+1

Sounds like a bad wipe. Try wiping everything multiple times, then flash your Rom. Make sure if you're using Clockwork recovery, dalvik cache is located in the advanced menu, you have to wipe that as well.

I would recommend you switch to amon-ra recovery. I'd link you the files and the guide but I'm on my phone. :(

Upvote 0

*UPDATE*

like the capt said it could be your recovery. if it is clockwork mod, then you might want to think about switching recoveries. cwm just does not wipe very well. if you plan on using cwm then make sure that you wipe like 3 or 4 time before flashing any rom. i would switch to amon ra2.3 and then use vr superwipe and then flash your rom. you can get instructions on how to switch recoveries in the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html as well as how to properly flash a rom including using superwipe as well.

Upvote 0
A family member on a stock rooted ROM tried to apply this OTA update and it never worked. But, now he cannot update any of his applications on his phone. Any ideas? I thought they knew not to accept OTA when rooted...go figure.
Once the OTA tries to update the device but fails, it gets stuck in half-updating mode. The solution here is to do a full wipe, and then reflash whatever the current ROM is. Or they can flash a rooted version of the newest OTA ROM.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Running software firmware 4.67.651.3 on sprint Evo. So how do install Unrevoked for hotspot wireless? Guess I am to late for the party.
You don't need to install unrevoked to use wireless hotspot. You just need to be rooted. That can be done by unlocking your bootloader over at HTCDev.com. There's also a nice dummies guide around here for rooting 2.18 HBOOT, which is what you most likely have (as long as you haven't rooted or unlocked your NAND previously).

Upvote 0
Running software firmware 4.67.651.3 on sprint Evo. So how do I install Unrevoked for hotspot wireless?

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so yes you can use unrevoked, but the process in getting there is more complicated now that you have accepted the update. use the link that mikem0269 provided. basically you will need to get your bootloader unlocked with HTCdev method. next you will need to follow captain throwback's guide to get your bootloader to hboot 2.10 which you would then be able to use unrevoked to gain root. please read the entire process thoroughly as it is more involved. and please feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Upvote 0
I have an unrooted EVO, and have already accepted this OTA update. I would still like to root my phone (primarily to be able to use it as a wirelesss hotspot for my Xoom). If I perform a factory reset, will this essentially null or reverse the update, so I can use the simpler Unrevoked method to root? Or will his OTA update still exist after doing the reset?

Upvote 0
I have an unrooted EVO, and have already accepted this OTA update. I would still like to root my phone (primarily to be able to use it as a wirelesss hotspot for my Xoom). If I perform a factory reset, will this essentially null or reverse the update, so I can use the simpler Unrevoked method to root? Or will his OTA update still exist after doing the reset?

nope unfortunately you will have two choices now. you can still sort of root your phone by unlocking your bootloder from HTCdev, but this will watermark your hboot. you can still flash roms and such, but this will void your warranty.

or you can first unlock the bootloader then use captain throwback's guide to change your hboot to 2.10 then use unrevoked to get s-off. but this method is more complicated so if you do decide to go this route please read and follow the guide carefully.

either way both methods can be found here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/488901-rooting-hboot-2-18-dummies-guide.html

Upvote 0
like the capt said it could be your recovery. if it is clockwork mod, then you might want to think about switching recoveries. cwm just does not wipe very well. if you plan on using cwm then make sure that you wipe like 3 or 4 time before flashing any rom. i would switch to amon ra2.3 and then use vr superwipe and then flash your rom. you can get instructions on how to switch recoveries in the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html as well as how to properly flash a rom including using superwipe as well.

Couple of things: I've noticed when booting my phone into recovery mode a quick line flashes up saying 'loading/no image pc3idag.zip' or .nbh; what does this mean?

Also, I tried flashing the newest radios that are listed earlier in this post thinking that might help with my wifi error, but it didn't.

When I boot into Recovery it says 'Build: RA-Supersonic-V2.3' on the bottom of the screen. Does this mean I am running the amonRA recovery you guys are recommending?

*Thanks for your patience and feedback! I'm trying to learn and not screw this up more than I already have!

Upvote 0
Couple of things: I've noticed when booting my phone into recovery mode a quick line flashes up saying 'loading/no image pc3idag.zip' or .nbh; what does this mean?

Also, I tried flashing the newest radios that are listed earlier in this post thinking that might help with my wifi error, but it didn't.

When I boot into Recovery it says 'Build: RA-Supersonic-V2.3' on the bottom of the screen. Does this mean I am running the amonRA recovery you guys are recommending?

*Thanks for your patience and feedback! I'm trying to learn and not screw this up more than I already have!
The phone is designed to look for a zip file on the sd card called PC36IMG when you go into hboot, that is how you update certain things that need to be done before the system mounts You dont have that file there so it says no img and closes, that is normal.
Yes I believe that is the correct recovery as to your wifi I confess I have not seen your previous posts on it. I will look and if I have a answer or recomondation I will reply.

ok after looking over the posts of yours I would ask are you comfortable with losing all the stuff on the phone and starting fresh?

I would say use the the wipe program, I got it from ocnbrze
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip
in recovery go to the flash from sd and chose this, it will completely erase your phone, then use the rom of your choice.
I do not know what kind of rom you have, or want I use AOSP and love it. But if you like the stock sense there are plenty of them. After you install the rom you should have wifi back.

Upvote 0
The phone is designed to look for a zip file on the sd card called PC36IMG when you go into hboot, that is how you update certain things that need to be done before the system mounts You dont have that file there so it says no img and closes, that is normal.
Yes I believe that is the correct recovery as to your wifi I confess I have not seen your previous posts on it. I will look and if I have a answer or recomondation I will reply.

ok after looking over the posts of yours I would ask are you comfortable with losing all the stuff on the phone and starting fresh?

I would say use the the wipe program, I got it from ocnbrze
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip
in recovery go to the flash from sd and chose this, it will completely erase your phone, then use the rom of your choice.
I do not know what kind of rom you have, or want I use AOSP and love it. But if you like the stock sense there are plenty of them. After you install the rom you should have wifi back.

Can I flash a stock rom without having to completely wipe first? If so, I may try that as a last ditch effort before wiping and starting over!
I found this thread that I believe has the stock ROMs available: [ROM]STOCK 4.67.651.3 (new ota update)[ROM] - xda-developers
Can someone clarify for sure which download I need?

I'm going to send you all a basket of cookies after this is resolved! :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can I flash a stock rom without having to completely wipe first? If so, I may try that as a last ditch effort before wiping and starting over!
I found this thread that I believe has the stock ROMs available: [ROM]STOCK 4.67.651.3 (new ota update)[ROM] - xda-developers
Can someone clarify for sure which download I need?

I'm going to send you all a basket of cookies after this is resolved! :)

I went for it and flashed a stock rom and all is well again (I think)! wifi is back, wifi tether is working, and so far it seems to be running okay. many thanks to all the folks on here for your help!

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I went for it and flashed a stock rom and all is well again (I think)! wifi is back, wifi tether is working, and so far it seems to be running okay. many thanks to all the folks on here for your help!

NICE!!!!!!but i still have not received my basket of cookies yet:mad:;):D:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones