• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New OTA Being Pushed as of 11-19-10

new at posting, here it is. i had wondered about the c update and when prompted i followed what you guys said and tried to let it go ahead and do it. it failed and had me reboot and seems like the phone's running ok... it seems that there is no need for me to flash to stock. unless there is more juice from battery - which i doubt. using velocity 3 with the turbo 4 with no problems yet. velocity and startup auditor and set cpu have my battery working great

Upvote 0
Don't worry, z4root will work.

STOP SAYING IT WORKS, IT DOES NOT.

MODEL: Ally
Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband: VS740MVC.5210.1015
Kernel: 2.6.29 lge@android-build #2
Build: ERE27
SW Ver: VS740ZVC

What happened:
1. Bought phone, had 2.1 already.
2. Rooted with Universal Androot.
3. Barnacle wifi works.
4. Barnacle updates, stops working.
5. Figured id update with the OTA to maybe fix it, stupid I know.
6. Now barnacle definitely doesn't work, I lost root.
7. I try everything possible with universal to get root again, fails everytime.
8. Tried z4root temp and permanent, HUGE fail.
9. Both programs say I have root, it's obvious that I don't.
10. I try to unroot with both z4 and universal, tried factory rest and everything, still fails.
11. Stuck in some f***ed up place where all these root app s say I'm rooted, but I have no su permissions, AT ALL.
12. When opening or accessing superuser app it crashes everytime.
"The application Superuser (process com.noshufou.android.su) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Notes:
1. Didn't unroot before update.
2. Used ever possible version of Universal Androot AND Z4root.
3. Universal Androot gives "Failed. No ~~~fu goo~~~" error.
4. I hate droid allys now.
5. Stuck between a rooted and unrooted state? Wtf?
6. Z4root does not to my knowledge have an unroot option. You start it and you have 2 options, permanent or temp root.
7. Z4root after doing some research, looks like it needs su for unroot option to show itself, but that's the thing, I rooted, lost root after OTA, and now cannot give permissions to unroot.like I said, stuck somewhere between rooted and not rooted. Somehow I'm rooted with NO SU PERMISSIONS AT ALL. WHAT IN THE F*** HAPPENED!?!?!?!

Upvote 0
Try reinstalling barnacle. Also, run terminal emulator(downloadable from market if you don't have it) and type su, press enter...should ask for superuser permissions...if it does, check always allow and click ok. that will show if you have superuser permissions or not. If not, hard reset and re-root with z4root.

1. Barnacle is useless w/o root.
2. Terminal is useless w/o root. (Typed "su" and got "permission denied")
3. "Superuser" app crashes, and therefore cannot give privelages.
4. Hard reset? I've factory reset and tried both rooting and unrooting with no difference.

Upvote 0
1. Barnacle is useless w/o root.
2. Terminal is useless w/o root. (Typed "su" and got "permission denied")
3. "Superuser" app crashes, and therefore cannot give privelages.
4. Hard reset? I've factory reset and tried both rooting and unrooting with no difference.

No need to be so angry here. Nobody is trying to do anything but help.

If Superuser is crashing, you probably have a broken version left over from a root failure, which may be causing everything you're experiencing. z4root *does* work though, despite it not solving *you're* problem.

Keep in mind that "factory reset" really means "wipe /data and /cache partitions" since that's all that's necessary to get back to factory if you haven't broken into your phone and changed things in the /system partition (rooting does this).

Your best bet is probably to follow this, and get back to stock: http://androidforums.com/death2all110/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Another option is the fastboot method, but I don't have full instructions offhand.

Upvote 0
No need to be so angry here. Nobody is trying to do anything but help.

If Superuser is crashing, you probably have a broken version left over from a root failure, which may be causing everything you're experiencing. z4root *does* work though, despite it not solving *you're* problem.

Keep in mind that "factory reset" really means "wipe /data and /cache partitions" since that's all that's necessary to get back to factory if you haven't broken into your phone and changed things in the /system partition (rooting does this).

Your best bet is probably to follow this, and get back to stock: http://androidforums.com/death2all110/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Another option is the fastboot method, but I don't have full instructions offhand.

I have to agree with dark...flash back to original, keep updating to vzc firmware, then rerun z4root. I've done this several times, always works

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting development, I have not yet had the opportunity to flash a stock rom and pretty much send my phone back to day 1, however I did notice in my file folders on my phone, there are two Superuser.apk programs installed. One is 191.9kb in size, and the other being 49.8kb in size. Could my phone just not be rooting itself due to a file name conflict? Thoughts? Now I can't delete the files, because I do not have proper root, however is there a way to corrupt or rename the files to end the redundancy and possibly properly root with z4 and have it work like everyone else? Thoughts? Discuss.

Upvote 0
Here's an interesting development, I have not yet had the opportunity to flash a stock rom and pretty much send my phone back to day 1, however I did notice in my file folders on my phone, there are two Superuser.apk programs installed. One is 191.9kb in size, and the other being 49.8kb in size. Could my phone just not be rooting itself due to a file name conflict? Thoughts? Now I can't delete the files, because I do not have proper root, however is there a way to corrupt or rename the files to end the redundancy and possibly properly root with z4 and have it work like everyone else? Thoughts? Discuss.

Definitely sounds like a possibility. If those files aren't on your sd card, you probably won't be able to do anything with them at all without root. however, if you can rename them, rename the smaller one to something besides superuser.apk...just drop one letter should be ok. The superuser in my system/app is 191.92k, so get rid of the other one or rename it if you can, then see what happens.

Upvote 0
Z4root is no longer available in the market! Dammit, I really need to go back to stock and get me some updates...

I skipped this update because my phone was rooted and (I thought) happily running Velocity .3

I had crashes once per day with Velo .3 but didn't mind.
When I upgraded to Velo .4 the phone started crashing several times per day.

The problem is hard to duplicate; phone crashes after using alarm BUT ONLY if the phone sits for several hours before the alarm goes off.

With the help of other users on this forum I've determined that neither LauncherPro or Zeam is stable, possibly due to missing the ota.

So I need to unroot but I can't find Z4root (because it's gone). Any suggestions of alternatives?

Upvote 0
Z4root is no longer available in the market! Dammit, I really need to go back to stock and get me some updates...

I skipped this update because my phone was rooted and (I thought) happily running Velocity .3

I had crashes once per day with Velo .3 but didn't mind.
When I upgraded to Velo .4 the phone started crashing several times per day.

The problem is hard to duplicate; phone crashes after using alarm BUT ONLY if the phone sits for several hours before the alarm goes off.

With the help of other users on this forum I've determined that neither LauncherPro or Zeam is stable, possibly due to missing the ota.

So I need to unroot but I can't find Z4root (because it's gone). Any suggestions of alternatives?

You can go here to get Z4Root
http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/250670-z4root.html

Also if you want to go stock and get all the updates use my easy guide to doing so.
http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...nteer-who-wants-go-back-completely-stock.html

In this version of going back Stock you will automatically be unrooted but its always good to put Z4Root on there and check to make sure.

If you need anything else I would be happy to assist.

**EDIT** This will also help you to take the OTA update coming on 1-17-11
http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/250868-lg-ally-update-coming-january-17th.html **

Reactions: Nemesiis
Upvote 0
I am lost as heck. I cannot get root, EVER. Not unless I can rename or delete the second superuser.apk. but how the heck do you do that if you need root access to edit files on your phone, (not sd). Please for the love of god, would someone plz change z4root to make a file on my phone which is NOT named superuseruser.apk, but somethingelse.apk so my ******ed phone will root. Its a simple file name error that's causing this. I can't do anything, my phone is locked. All the apps say I'm rooted, and if u consider having superuser.apk on your phone then yes, but I have no privelages bc my ****** phone is pushing su commands to the wrong app on my phone. Since I will never have root as long as I have 2 superuser.apk files, the only way around this is to find an app that when it roots the superuser app isn't named superuser.apk. of course nobody here gives a crap enough to edit the app to do so, so I may as well consider myself unrootable unless someone has a better idea. Plz help ffs, I'm going insane without my barnacle. I could get another phone, but seriously I'm broke. I hardly have any business paying this phones bill as is.

If I can't do these things w/o root, let me know now so I can give up:

Reinstall a fresh stock os (not a factory reset, that obviously does nothing).
Delete or rename one of the superuser files.
Use an app that installs a superuser app that is NOT named superuser.apk.

If I can't do any of those without root, tell me now so I can just replace this phone. I really hope I don't sound like a jerk, I'm just really frustrated with my phone, you guys are cool

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones