• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New OTA remove root?

Somebody on another forum got it working:

Software update is rolling out - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

myersjesse said:
I just used the utility. I selected option 1 (flash stock ROM), than 2 (restore stock recovery), than rooted with utility. I than downloaded voodoo root keeper from market and backed up root. I took the update (went fine), ran voodoo again and restored root. I am now on new ROM with the new baseband and everything seems to be working as it should.

(ymmv tho)

I'm not sure if anything can be done if you've already updated and lost root, though. Sorry. Check other razr hd forums. Maybe the droidrzr.com forums, or xda.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
From the sources I've seen, this new ota is a total lockdown. Bootloader workaround and root methods are gone. Update at your own risk.

Well, I guess that answers my questions in a couple other areas! The good news is that everything pretty much works as it did before. I was really only using the root to be able to automatically reboot the phone during a Tasker program anyway.

Upvote 0
I updated today on accident and lost my root. I hadnt installed any of the ota root protector or voodoo and was still on a stock rom. I am now unrooted and motochopper fails. Seems as of now I am at the mercy of some devs finding a new way around the updates.

Normally I can solve my problems by reading through other's experiences so i dont post often.

Upvote 0
I decided to go for it.

I was already rooted prior.

I had Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper installed. Click "Protect Root". Then click "Temp un-root".

I installed the OTA.

After OTA install and reboot I went into Voodoo and chose "Restore Root".

Opened Root Checker, clicked Verify and voila I have root!

Go into Settings, About Phone and see 9.18.79.x926.

Checked numerous root apps, Titanium, Root Explorer...I am rooted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones