• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New OTA update? (10/4/2010)?

infoe

Jun 5, 2010
checking emails on my evo this morning saw an OTA update was available. Havent been on forums in a while, Now I stayed away from it like the plague because last time I updated to 2.2 and that was painful for me.

I'm not seeing any chatter of the new OTA if its safe to download or not? In either case I cancelled it, but could it be that newest version of Unrevoked can be ran after that OTA is installed?

checking emails on my evo this morning saw an ota update was available. Havent been on forums in a while, now i stayed away from it like the plague because last time i updated to 2.2 and that was painful for me.

I'm not seeing any chatter of the new ota if its safe to download or not? In either case i cancelled it, but could it be that newest version of unrevoked can be ran after that ota is installed?

do not accept ota updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rom devs will incorporate this into a rom shortly after it is released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
checking emails on my evo this morning saw an OTA update was available. Havent been on forums in a while, Now I stayed away from it like the plague because last time I updated to 2.2 and that was painful for me.

I'm not seeing any chatter of the new OTA if its safe to download or not? In either case I cancelled it, but could it be that newest version of Unrevoked can be ran after that OTA is installed?

You sure this isn't the update that was released on 9/22? I checked the Sprint forums and I didn't see any more recent updates. Although there was a new post dated 10/4 in the 9/22 update thread, it doesn't appear that any new information was added to the thread.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, but I do use my phone every day. Now that you mention it I did see some udates where available to be done where I had the Sprint Icon on the top of my phone. I didn't take those updates either however, I'm just paranoid unless I know what the update is for.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure, but I do use my phone every day. Now that you mention it I did see some udates where available to be done where I had the Sprint Icon on the top of my phone. I didn't take those updates either however, I'm just paranoid unless I know what the update is for.

It is the 30fps fix update, have you flashed a new rom or a custom kernel? if so you dont need it

Upvote 0
yes you will lose root, but you can download and flash a stock rom and only wipe cache and dalvik cache without full wipe and will have the same result and still be rooted

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

If you only rooted your phone then just hold on a sec.

Any OTA may potentially remove the root.
If the only thing you've done is root your phone, then I suggest to read about each OTA that comes out (Which requires you to wait a week or so) and determine if accepting it will remove your root.

If you're flashing "stock" rooted roms, then just wait after each update for the OTA to be applied to an available stock rooted rom.

Upvote 0
WAIT WAIT WAIT.

If you only rooted your phone then just hold on a sec.

Any OTA may potentially remove the root.
If the only thing you've done is root your phone, then I suggest to read about each OTA that comes out (Which requires you to wait a week or so) and determine if accepting it will remove your root.

If you're flashing "stock" rooted roms, then just wait after each update for the OTA to be applied to an available stock rooted rom.

He is talking about the ota that came out last month, and it will take away his root, and he can flash a stock rooted rom only wiping cache and dalvik-cache and will be fine, and this has the update included in it.

Upvote 0
where can I go to check which OTA it is? I am on 3.26.651.6

Trust me I learned my lesson, I don't download ANY updates (even voicemail updates scare me) without knowing for sure. I don't really care for doing much on my EVO cept for having WIFI tether (which I need for my business) so I don't mess with it much or read up too often if everything is working fine.

Just always curious however when I see an update available.

Upvote 0
where can I go to check which OTA it is? I am on 3.26.651.6

The update that you are seeing in your email is not new. Not sure why you are just getting an email regarding this but it was released on 9/22 or thereabouts. Below is the text from the Sprint forums about the 9/22 release. Note the software version number at the bottom.

Sep 22, 2010
9/22 - HTC Evo Maintenance Release
HTC Evo Maintenance Release

Fixes:
Calendar event edit issue
Multiple Gmail Account sync

Update your software
• Go to the Home screen
• Tap Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update
• Your EVO will automatically download and install any available updates.

Important Notes:
This update will take approximately 5-10 minutes to download and 5-10 minutes to install.
The new software version is: 3.29.651.5

There is a ROOTED stock ROM of 3.29.651.5 available over at xda. You could flash that one to get you up to date.
[ROM] joeykrim-SDX-original-4.0 Odex *Stock Rooted 3.29.651.5* Sept 23rd 2010 - xda-developers

Reactions: infoe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones