1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

New owner - Korean-American in South Korea

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by inspector_yoo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. inspector_yoo

inspector_yoo Lurker
    None

May 27, 2011
    Hey guys. Just got my Samsung Galaxy S2 a little over two weeks ago. I am from America but currently work and live in South Korea. This phone is awesome. I did have a few questions though.

1. Do I have KE7 update?

I'm pretty sure I do. I did notice a big increase in battery life, better response in swype keyboard, don't notice any pink spots in camera, and updated my default samsung apps. Information on my phone is:

Model number:
    SHW-M250L
    Firmware version:
    Baseband version:
    M250L.EE18.2236.LT
    Kernel version
    2.6.35.7-M250L.EE31.1229-CL225236
    Build number
    Gingerbread.EE31

The reason I ask is because my build number doesn't show KE7 like everyone else that updated from what I have seen online. However, my kersion version does show 2.6 which made me think I did have 2.7? Is it different because I bought my phone in South Korea? Kies also says that I have the latest versions so I'm assuming I do have KE7 but I'm not completely sure if I do.

2: How do I change my google account to an American location for Android marketplace?

I'm not sure if you guys know but there was a dispute between South Korea and Google which resulted in Google removing all the games from Android marketplace. I was fortunate enough to receive some games when I bought my phone and I can get access to the limited Korean games but it would be nice to access all the Android games as well. I heard that if I change my location to America than I can access all the games from Android marketplace? I'm not sure if this is true and can't seem to find any information on how too.

3: Are there any must have apps on my phone? I downloaded every useful or cool app/game that I can find. I usually go for free apps/games but I don't mind paying if it is a must have.

My "Fun" apps:
    AIM
    Comic Reader (seems to be comics you would find in newspapers)
    Fatbooth
    FxCamera
    Mel0n - korean music apps
    ScoreCenter (ESPN)
    TubeMate
    Ultra Voice Changer
    Useless Facts
    xPiano
    Zombiebooth

My "useful" apps:
    Alarm Clock Plus
    Calculator
    ColorNote
    ConvertPal
    DailyBible
    How to Tie A Tie
    Mirror
    SearchLight
    StopWatch
    and a few Korean apps that I downloaded

I currently have 12 games but 3 are different versions of Angry Birds and a few were downloaded for me.

My first Android phone:
    Pros -
    Fast
    Big screen
    Solid OS (Coming from a few Blackberry Storms - that really was the worst phone ever made)
    Nice screen
    Light
    Good camera
    Fun apps
    and of course, living in South Korea has many advantages:
    The headphones that came with the phone are great
    The extra battery charger/dock is great.
    The screen cover they gave for free is great.
    The cereal they gave is great.
    The few games they downloaded for me were cool.
    (I heard some people don't get some of these things, especially the cereal. Lol.)
    etc.

Cons -
    - So far, only battery life. Even though the update did improve my battery life substantially. I would like a few more hours out of it. Currently lasts a little less than a full day with what I consider "solid" use. I would like a few more hours.

- Got a case for free which covers the back but it's a pain to access the antenna for mobile TV which I don't even get unless I am in a big city. I'm in a "town" in South Korea so no channels show up. It would be another great advantage.

Advertisement

2. inspector_yoo

inspector_yoo Lurker
    None

May 27, 2011