1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New phone Evo Design 4g...can't root...so is my Titanium Backup app backups useless?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bkaspar, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie

Based on my what I've read about rooting this newly released Evo Design 4G Boost Mobile phone and my (lack) of technical knowledge, it looks like not a good idea to try rooting my phone yet. I did root my previous phone though, and have Titanium Backup of all the apps. I was planning to restore these onto my new phone.

At this point, should I just use it as a list of apps to download? Anything else that might be helpful? I have lots of apps to restore so it will be a pain to install one by one.

Thank you in advance.....

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Savage Shadows

Savage Shadows Android Enthusiast

bkaspar, what's preventing you from rooting your Design? If its either working with the SDK manager or unlocking to bootloader in general, I got stumped and overwhelmed for a couple weeks at that step myself, and I may be able to help walk you through it.

Whether you're still set on not rooting it, or find new motivation to do so, I may have another option that can help you avoid the somewhat tedious task of installing apps one by one. Tell me, bkaspar, do you still have your old device? If so, is it functional?

3. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie

Savage....

Thanks for your response. With my old Samsung Transform Ultra, the phone had been out awhile and I found an easy youtube video about how to root. From what I've read about this phone, it seems the kinks haven't been worked out yet with rooting so I don't want to risk rooting it myself. Then there's the option of hiring a "pro" off craigslist....I live between san francisco and san jose....anyone? anyone? hehe

I do still have the old (rooted) phone...it seems to work. I did a titanium backup of everything....and moved all apps to the SD card I believe....but on the new phone when I view the apps on the SD card, the old one aren't listed. I also have a list of all the apps that I kept seperately. Maybe it's just best and cleanest to download the newest versions of apps individually by searching for each in the marketplace? I wouldn't imagine I can restore the titanium backup without rooting my phone first to install the titanium backup app?

Thanks!!

4. Savage Shadows

I've tried using Titanium Backup, and to be honest, I never really liked it. For some people, it works well, but not for me. So here's my alternative to T Backup, MobileGo - Android Manager to Manage Android on PC | Wondershare
    See if you like it! Backup what you want from your old device, and your new device too, and restore what you would like onto your new device. It doesn't require any root access.

If you're willing to wait a day or two, I think I'm going to write up a huge how-to thread on rooting the Design (Boost Variant). It will be very detailed, and it will also be based on having updated the phone with the "January" update.

Edit: I am hoping to write two how-to's. One pre-update, one post-update.

bkaspar likes this.
  5. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie

Savage - that would be fantastic! Sounds like its certainly worth the wait for me. Can I trouble you to also make a youtube video? I often find that a picture(or video) is worth a thousand words, especially with these technical things for a noob like me.

Thank you!!!!

6. Savage Shadows

I don't currently have a good source to record video of the process with, but I do plan on including pictures.

bkaspar likes this.
  7. 2000bravada

2000bravada Lurker

I too just changed over from a Samsung transform ultra which I rooted as well. I also didn't feel too comfortable trying to root my HTC evo design. So I just opted to a local craigslist ad for $40. Well worth the money. I still want to learn how to do it myself though. TB has been a great app for this phone as well as my transform ultra.

bkaspar likes this.
  8. bkaspar

bkaspar Newbie

thanks Savage for now doing the how-to! I saw it in another thread.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews