1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New Phone - Help make sure I don't do something dumb!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by vennardk, Dec 5, 2014.

1. vennardk

vennardk Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2014
    Male
    Hey guys,

I'm getting a Moto X Dev edition tomorrow. Still have unlimited data from Verizon and I'm too cheap to buy a $700 phone. My Maxx HD just isn't cutting it due to its low amount of Ram and I pushed the newest update back in July without unlocking the Bootloader and now I can't root it.

So with a new phone, I got some thing to do. Mind checking my plan and seeing if I'm being dumb?
    1. Root it (bootloader comes unlocked)
    2. Install Cyanogenmod (unless there's a better one for moto x - interested in battery life)
    3. Swap sim card (I'm on Verizon if it matters)
    4. Re-download apps (can't backup Maxx HD due to inability to root it)
    5. ????
    6. Profit!

Question:
    A. Do I need to physically swap the sim card or just activate on the verizon site?
    B. What if Verizon tries to push updates tot he Moto X? Should I ignore all updates? I messed up with my MAXX HD. I don't want to mess up again. But being this is the dev edition with an unlocked bootloader, is it even possible for me to mess up by updating?
    C. Is my order of tasks above correct? I don't want to do something out of order here....

Everything look sensible? Do you do anything else when you get a new phone? It's been a long time since I rooted a phone. I'm sure the game has changed a lot since then. Tell me if I'm missing something uber 1337. :)

I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Advertisement

#1 vennardk, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Unless there is something you really need root access to do, I wouldn't root this phone. And I wouldn't install Cyanogen unless you really need some feature it offers not available on a stock Moto X. The Moto X runs near-stock vanilla Android but with a few nice additions you likely will want to keep. And if you leave the phone stock you can get quick OS updates.

As long as the old SIM is the correct size for the Moto X you can just swap it in. But if it's more than a year or so old get a new one to be sure you get best data network performance.

#2 Crashdamage, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014