• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phone Issues

TBotNik

Dec 29, 2011
I bought a new LG K20+! Had to downsize from my Stylo as the newer phones do not have a removable battery and we all know why they are non-removable, so will never own one with non-removable battery!

Anyway this phone displays a Msngr Icon over my home screen: Not acceptable!

It also keep slamming me with Pop-Ups: Totally not acceptable, I never allow popups on anything. My phone is for business and was in the middle of a business call when one of these stupid popups started playing music loudly, totally interrupting the call till I could turn off the blipping thing.

Then when I'm working on the phone, popups keep bouncing up, interrupting my work and causing issues with entries and other actions.

The final issues are:
  1. The only secure browser is Firefox, but they have Chrome installed and declare the default browser. It must be both non-default and removed from the phone as it is a HUGE security problem,
  2. Outlook is installed and set as the default email client. I use Mali.ru as it works better with multiple email accounts. Again Outlook has to be set to non-default, then removed,
  3. I alway "ROOT" my phones so I can control crap like this, but cannot find a way to root this phone. This is a must, as I move all apps to my 64GB microSD card. Absolutely nothing but the OS is allowed on internal memory on my phones. I kept running out of memory on the Stylo and though this phone has more internal memory, the way I use a phone the internal memory will be gone, this will be used up in under 3 months without all apps including bloatware moved to the SD card.
How do I turn off all this crap, and solve these problems, so I have a usable phone! This is not a usable phone at all!

Cheers!

TBNK

Last edited:
I bought a new LG K20+! Had to downsize from my Stylo as the newer phones do not have a removable battery and we all know why they are non-removable, so will never own one with non-removable battery!

Anyway this phone displays a Msngr Icon over my home screen: Not acceptable!

It also keep slamming me with Pop-Ups: Totally not acceptable, I never allow popups on anything. My phone is for business and was in the middle of a business call when one of these stupid popups started playing music loudly, totally interrupting the call till I could turn off the blipping thing.

Then when I'm working on the phone, popups keep bouncing up, interrupting my work and causing issues with entries and other actions.

The final issues are:
  1. The only secure browser is Firefox, but they have Chrome installed and declare the default browser. It must be both non-default and removed from the phone as it is a HUGE security problem,
  2. Outlook is installed and set as the default email client. I use Mali.ru as it works better with multiple email accounts. Again Outlook has to be set to non-default, then removed,
  3. I alway "ROOT" my phones so I can control crap like this, but cannot find a way to root this phone. This is a must, as I move all apps to my 64GB microSD card. Absolutely nothing but the OS is allowed on internal memory on my phones. I kept running out of memory on the Stylo and though this phone has more internal memory, the way I use a phone the internal memory will be gone, this will be used up in under 3 months without all apps including bloatware moved to the SD card.
How do I turn off all this crap, and solve these problems, so I have a usable phone! This is not a usable phone at all!

Cheers!

TBNK

FYI, how to root LG K20 Plus with TWRP recovery. It's on XDA, so I presume this information is good.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-k20-plus/development/recovery-twrp-v3-lg-k20-plus-t3616248

However it's extremely likely the pop-up ads are coming from some third-party "free", adware app you've installed, and NOT from LG
. Are they stating anything like "BeiTa plug-in"? Because we've had quite a few reports very recently of intrusive pop-ups from that bundled with "free" apps. Have you installed any apps from outside of Google Play or Amazon Appstore? No idea what "Msngr Icon" is though.

Also about mail.ru, which is a "free" mail app that comes from Russia. Are you sure that's secure and isn't phoning home, etc? Especially since you've stated about "security problem".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am having this issue on my Moto E5 play, I will open different apps and I get pop ups, most are advertising for different games in the playstore but recently I have been running into issues with popups for dating sites, what makes matters worse is they are occasionally occurring on their own, I won't even be using or touching the phone and next thing I know it's sqwaking

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones