• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phone, New Job?

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
So, Thursday night I bricked my captivate but, good.

Froyo 2.2 was officially released for my phone and in the process of going to it my computer shut off and my screen went pink I was quite alarmed and dismayed.

The phone would not turn back on at all..no lights/movement/sound.

I was out of my 30 days but, my parents are in charge of the contract and I have do everything through them, so we took the phone back to the store I got it from and there was one person ahead of us. After a minute a man walked in and then a few minutes later an older lady.

The lady asked if the person behind the counter was the only one working to which I responded "yes mam". Afterwords she proceeded to walk up to the person at the counter and ask the same stupid question, and walked out annoyed.

The lady behind the counter then apologized to my mother and I. I replied, "no worries I know how it goes, I've sold phones before." The lady asked "At&t?" To which I responded "I sold at&t, sprint, and tmobile at one store." she asked me if I wanted a job right then and there. I told her I might but, my last job although I love it was annoying because, they were so obsessed with attaches that I lost customers and sales, she told me to go pick up an app from her other store down the road and apply.

She then continued working with the customer she was with. A friend of my moms walked in and was discussing getting a phone for her youngest child and I made a few suggestions after I asked a few questions.

The lady working at the store then proceeded to talk to me and my mom, where we found out there is a store in town we can take our phone to and get it switched out. She at least two more times mentioned me applying.

So after leaving we stopped by her store down the road and picked up the application. The next day my step dad took my old phone to the store and got it swapped out. They gave us a new phone and for some reason we kept the old battery. Apparently the phone AND battery were fried and they are mailing us a new battery now.

Hopefully I will receive a call tomorrow on Monday from the new place. I wasn't looking for a job but, I love being a sales person. I hated the crap my last store tried to push with warranties and accessories.. But, I did love legit helping people find a phone and plan that suits them and not just taking them for a ride.

It also felt good to have someone actively trying to hire me. I walked in with my hair combed poorly (few places I just can't get it to go down without a shower or something on some days.) I was wearing jeans, crocs and a t-shirt and I would never walk in to apply for a job dressed like that but, there it was someone actively trying to hire me. Usually the job application process revolves around me applying at as many places possible, not the owner of a store insisting I apply there.

I also like that the hours are from like 9-6 Monday through Friday then like 10-6 Sat and close Sunday.

Even if I got stuck working all day on the days I do work, it will still be better than just about any other places around which open at 6 and close at 9 meaning I'd have to be up early in the morning or get home later at night.

So.. kinda funny how I bricked a phone.. and walk away from it with a new phone and (maybe) new job.

In this day and age trying to find a job is nil to none. Sometimes its just right place at the right time. She was swamped with work and might had fired a worker or had a few quit and hearing you had past experience of working in a cell place. She thought no real training needed.

Good luck hope you get the job.

Upvote 0
Well its my understanding that she is moving from her old store to her new one.

And your dead right with the no training part. Sales is can be a tricky business and even if you can be taught every other detail you need to know... How to program the phone, how to set it up online and what requires what plan.

It does take a while for you to be able to really get the hang of dealing with customers.. so I am sure that plays into it a lot.

Oh well.. Having experience is never a bad thing..

And even though I want to be a programmer.. the truth is.. these days even programmers are salesmen.

Upvote 0
Well good luck to you. One note though, I would be hard pressed to believe that your phone couldn't be SBFed back to stock. I'd say it had more to do with the battery. But now that you have a new phone I guess the point is moot.

Let us know how the application goes.
I will usually try whatever I can before giving up on a device.

My step dad said at the store they tried putting in a new battery in my phone..

Still didn't turn on at all.

Put my old battery in a new phone.

Got no results from that either.

Somewhere along the way something got fried I suppose.

If I could have gotten to the download mode I could have even worked with that.. however, it wasn't an option.

Upvote 0
So, Thursday night I bricked my captivate but, good.

Froyo 2.2 was officially released for my phone and in the process of going to it my computer shut off and my screen went pink I was quite alarmed and dismayed.

The phone would not turn back on at all..no lights/movement/sound.

I was out of my 30 days but, my parents are in charge of the contract and I have do everything through them, so we took the phone back to the store I got it from and there was one person ahead of us. After a minute a man walked in and then a few minutes later an older lady.

The lady asked if the person behind the counter was the only one working to which I responded "yes mam". Afterwords she proceeded to walk up to the person at the counter and ask the same stupid question, and walked out annoyed.

The lady behind the counter then apologized to my mother and I. I replied, "no worries I know how it goes, I've sold phones before." The lady asked "At&t?" To which I responded "I sold at&t, sprint, and tmobile at one store." she asked me if I wanted a job right then and there. I told her I might but, my last job although I love it was annoying because, they were so obsessed with attaches that I lost customers and sales, she told me to go pick up an app from her other store down the road and apply.

She then continued working with the customer she was with. A friend of my moms walked in and was discussing getting a phone for her youngest child and I made a few suggestions after I asked a few questions.

The lady working at the store then proceeded to talk to me and my mom, where we found out there is a store in town we can take our phone to and get it switched out. She at least two more times mentioned me applying.

So after leaving we stopped by her store down the road and picked up the application. The next day my step dad took my old phone to the store and got it swapped out. They gave us a new phone and for some reason we kept the old battery. Apparently the phone AND battery were fried and they are mailing us a new battery now.

Hopefully I will receive a call tomorrow on Monday from the new place. I wasn't looking for a job but, I love being a sales person. I hated the crap my last store tried to push with warranties and accessories.. But, I did love legit helping people find a phone and plan that suits them and not just taking them for a ride.

It also felt good to have someone actively trying to hire me. I walked in with my hair combed poorly (few places I just can't get it to go down without a shower or something on some days.) I was wearing jeans, crocs and a t-shirt and I would never walk in to apply for a job dressed like that but, there it was someone actively trying to hire me. Usually the job application process revolves around me applying at as many places possible, not the owner of a store insisting I apply there.

I also like that the hours are from like 9-6 Monday through Friday then like 10-6 Sat and close Sunday.

Even if I got stuck working all day on the days I do work, it will still be better than just about any other places around which open at 6 and close at 9 meaning I'd have to be up early in the morning or get home later at night.

So.. kinda funny how I bricked a phone.. and walk away from it with a new phone and (maybe) new job.

cool.

i was wondering about your phone. it's a good thing you were able to replace it. were you given an option to get another phone?

either way, you've had some crazy luck (good and bad).

Upvote 0
cool.

i was wondering about your phone. it's a good thing you were able to replace it. were you given an option to get another phone?

either way, you've had some crazy luck (good and bad).

I didn't accompany my step dad to the shop the next day if they gave him the option of sticking with captivate he probably decided to (and rightly so) because, he knew I picked that phone for a reason and figured I couldn't be made if he came back with it.

As oppose to changed and possibly getting something that competely sucks.

I may have missed out on the atrix but, I don't really care. I loved my captivate and I knew exactly what I was getting. I could be wrong but, I think the rom future of atrix is still "blur"ry.

Upvote 0
I didn't accompany my step dad to the shop the next day if they gave him the option of sticking with captivate he probably decided to (and rightly so) because, he knew I picked that phone for a reason and figured I couldn't be made if he came back with it.

As oppose to changed and possibly getting something that competely sucks.

I may have missed out on the atrix but, I don't really care. I loved my captivate and I knew exactly what I was getting. I could be wrong but, I think the rom future of atrix is still "blur"ry.

yeah, there have been some awesome reviews for both altrix and inspire.

i would've jumped to the inspire board, but my upgrade is not due for another few weeks and newer smartphones make me a little nervous because bugs and such haven't been discovered.. therefore fixed.

i really like captivate too. it's been around long enough that people are/have been fixing the issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones