• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new phone, new problems

microdoted

Lurker
Aug 19, 2010
first let me apologize if this has been addressed. i searched and read through hundreds of threads (literally)... and just cant find an answer.

so... my wife needed a new company phone (att) and asked me what to get. they are a rinky dink childrens hospital in the middle of nowhere that is owned by a huge corp. their local it guy is just about clueless. i asked anyway, he said they had an exchange server for email... so i suggested she pick up an android phone. we settled on the aria because of its size. (decent phone).

so.. to my surprise... this big corp doesnt use activesync. i called into their main tech line... they absolutely dont have it, and wont set it up. they have owa... but thats a pain in the _____ on a phone.

im new to android, so im not sure just how to handle this. apparently, the built in email client has to have activesync in order to setup exchange... so thats out of the question. i tried touchdown from the market... and it works (kind of), but its a barren wasteland, and just throws simplicity out the window. (and maybe there is something wrong... the screenshots look absolutely nothing like what she has once its installed. she simply gets 4-5 buttons at the bottom when opening the app, has to click again to get to her email... and it will not pull any current email sitting on the server in her inbox. only new email shows up, no matter how i set it up. maybe its a bug... not sure). couldnt get k9 to work at all.

are there any apps that could be used to check email on an exchange 2007 server that doesnt use activesync? could i possibly root this thing to get it set up how she needs? im stuck here, and really needing to get something done for her quickly. she just needs something simple to send and receive email off this server.

there's an app called "exchange for android 2.x" that might work? there's also one called k-9 mail, but not sure if it works with exchange, but it's free do won't hurt to try.

yeah... thats "touchdown". it works, but as i said... wont pull any old email (so anything currently sitting in her inbox is not accessible) and is about the most horrible gui i have ever seen.

k-9 mail doesnt work at all.

Upvote 0
first let me apologize if this has been addressed. i searched and read through hundreds of threads (literally)... and just cant find an answer.

so... my wife needed a new company phone (att) and asked me what to get. they are a rinky dink childrens hospital in the middle of nowhere that is owned by a huge corp. their local it guy is just about clueless. i asked anyway, he said they had an exchange server for email... so i suggested she pick up an android phone. we settled on the aria because of its size. (decent phone).

so.. to my surprise... this big corp doesnt use activesync. i called into their main tech line... they absolutely dont have it, and wont set it up. they have owa... but thats a pain in the _____ on a phone.

im new to android, so im not sure just how to handle this. apparently, the built in email client has to have activesync in order to setup exchange... so thats out of the question. i tried touchdown from the market... and it works (kind of), but its a barren wasteland, and just throws simplicity out the window. (and maybe there is something wrong... the screenshots look absolutely nothing like what she has once its installed. she simply gets 4-5 buttons at the bottom when opening the app, has to click again to get to her email... and it will not pull any current email sitting on the server in her inbox. only new email shows up, no matter how i set it up. maybe its a bug... not sure). couldnt get k9 to work at all.

are there any apps that could be used to check email on an exchange 2007 server that doesnt use activesync? could i possibly root this thing to get it set up how she needs? im stuck here, and really needing to get something done for her quickly. she just needs something simple to send and receive email off this server.

MailDroid works with Exchange 2007 over webdav.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones