• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new phone - old SD card - Apps2SD (apps on old SD card)

hello everybody

got a new phone - and i've got questions questions questions

on my old G2 i've used Apps2SD to move (many - not all) of my apps to the SD card

big question - before i even turn on the new phone and log in w/ my gmail acct, should i inert my old SD card? i know my apps will start downloading soon after i activate with google - which SD card should be in the phone when i do that??

is the system smart enough to see that i installed the apps on the previous phone to my SD card so the new download will also occur to the SD card??

how do you go about this process? new phone.. old SD card w/ lots of data i don't want to lose

thx

standing by for answers before i even turn the phone on
:cool:

I think it'll happen as you suspect, SDscorch. I don't think where the apps are installed actually matters, the restore process just automatically reinstalls everything linked to your account as "installed" to the handset's default location. I'm pretty sure the Google backup is unaware of the Apps2SD used on our Heros in any case.

NB I've never tried this myself, so don't take this as gospel. I've always used Titanium by copying my backup folder across to a new handset, pointing a freshly-installed copy of the app to it and letting a batch restore do the work.

Reactions: SDscorch
Upvote 0
pretty sure you're right slug

i'm in the process now

what i did was.. backed up my current SD card to my laptop

i activated my phone and the "great google apps migration of 2011" is proceeding (heh) - that's with the "new" SD card (that came w/ the phone)

i'll take out the new SD card - put the new one in, format it - then one-by-one bring whatever files/folders/data over from the laptop that i want

then move whatever apps i want onto the SD card using "Move 2 SD" (my fav apps2SD app)

that's the current plan anyway - i think this is the best way to do this

(unless anyone knows a better way - anyone?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones