1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New phone or just a tablet?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ChaunceyK, Jan 8, 2017.

1. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Male
    New Jersey
    Several months ago my beloved Droid Maxx started acting up, never was able to completely fix it (despite numerous suggestions from the members on here). So I kept it strictly for internet/gaming/music/GPS and bought a cheap Coolpad Rogue as my "phoning and texting" device. Didn't wanna spend a lot of money & just wanted something reliable. The Rogue is still working fine, but my Maxx finally died completely.

So now, since the Rogue has a small screen and is slow for internet/gaming/music/GPS, I want a new Android device to cover all of those things. But should I get a new phone or just a smallish tablet that I can still mount on my dash?

The downloadable (so I can use it offline) Google Maps is a must for this consideration, since I don't have a standalone GPS. The games I play aren't high-end, but something faster than the Rogue would be great (a larger screen is also important). And an SD card slot would be nice, but isn't entirely necessary as long as I can plug the new device into my computer & transfer my MP3s manually.

I'm really looking to spend as little money as possible, hopefully just $50-$75 (but I can swing a full $100 if need be). Doesn't even need to be brand new, I'd be happy enough with something used but fully functional.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

2. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Male
    New Jersey
    Alot of views, but no answers....is it because what I want simply isn't in the price range I'm asking about?

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

A new phone under $100 that's actually good is tough to find unless it's discounted through your carrier.

What carrier are you on? Droid Maxx is for Verizon, Coolpad Rogue is T-Mobile.

Replacing both with a new phone - Moto G4 Play works with almost every carrier and is $149, I've seen it on sale for $125.

Jfalls63 and mikedt like this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    If you weren't happy with a Coolpad Rogue, it might be difficult to find another "cheap as possible" phone in the US you'd be happy with. Are you with Verizon?

5. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Male
    New Jersey
    I was with Verizon, then switched over to T-Mobile. I managed to find this, looks like a contender...

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/samsung-galaxy-on5-prepaid

...I'm just not exactly sure how the Prepaid Refill Card works. Is the $100 card usable only on my account? Only on this particular phone? I'd like to keep using the Rogue as my main phone and just use the Samsung (or whatever I buy) for the other stuff, mainly because my kids like to use it for games & I don't want them running the battery down on my main cell.

6. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Male
    New Jersey
    Just online chatted with a rep. The Card is only good for Prepaid accounts, so I could give it (or sell it) to someone. Do people buy them on here?

7. SolApathy

SolApathy Just another robot
    VIP Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Ohio
    You may want to just look into getting something with a small monthly payment plan.. Lieke others have said $100 budget really hampers you from getting anything good and reliable over the long term.

8. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK Member
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Male
    New Jersey
    I went ahead and bought the Samsung Galaxy On5, and now I'm going to try to sell the Prepaid Card on eBay. There are tons of them being successfully sold on there, so I don't think I'll have much problem selling mine.

As for the phone itself, I like it. It's got everything I wanted, so even if I sell the Card for significantly less than face value, the phone will have costed me what I was willing to spend in the first place.