1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New Phone Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigbeta, May 3, 2012.

1. bigbeta

bigbeta Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    Just picked up an Optimus V from Best Buy yesterday. Since I wanted to keep my old number, the process got a little screwed up at BB. I finally got the number moved... but by the time I did, I realized that my signal strength is almost non-existent.

I'm taking the phone back to see if I can get another, as I think the issue is the phone, not the service. I live in Springfield, Illinois, near (1/2 mile) the convergence of 2 interstates. The coverage map looks real good here.

I've noticed that when the phone first powers up, I have a signal showing for about 2 seconds. After that, it's one or zero bars.

Any thoughts on whether it's just the service? Of course, Virgin Mobile support says it's the phone.

Advertisement

2. 129260

129260 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    nerdyness
    If you are not rooted, haven't costumed rom-ed or anything like that; and just the phone brand new (stock), you might want to consider installing the update for the lg optimus v. Find it here. The update provides better signal strength as well as security improvements.

3. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert
    None

Mar 19, 2012
    If you just purchased it I'd take it back if there is an issue. Do you know anyone on sprint or vm that you can compare signals.You should have a pretty good signal being so close to major interstates. You could try the update but it prob won't make much difference plus it's a bit harder to root if you decide to.

4. bigbeta

bigbeta Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    I tried the update yesterday after reading how people had rooted their phones and used different PRLs .

The update failed three times - I kept getting a "failure to locate cache" error. That's when VM support told me it may be the phone.

5. sellersj27

sellersj27 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 7, 2012
    I am running around Springfield all of the time and have excellent service! The only place that I have found that is poor is the New Berlin, Waverly area. I am running a stock OV.....I think that it must be the phone!

6. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert
    None

Mar 19, 2012
    Sounds like something screwy with the phones hardware.. i'd take it back for exchange

7. bigbeta

bigbeta Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    Best Buy swapped it out for an HTC Wildfire (they were out of stock on the Optimus) for no charge. My signal is MUCH better... except in the man cave.

I'm sure there is soom rooting and modding in my future.

8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Go back and get the OpV. It's a much much better phone (when you don't get a dud, which isn't hugely prevalent with the OpV's). It's the best phone VM USA has at the moment.

kangarooant likes this.
Tags: