• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New Phone Question

Coach56

May 24, 2011
I dropped my phone last night and it will not turn on. I jumped on the Radio Shack deal today and bought a new one.

I made a nandroid backup a couple days ago...If I flash a custom recovery and restore that backup to my new phone will that work? Also, should I go through the whole activation process first(assuming that would work)?

I dropped my phone last night and it will not turn on. I jumped on the Radio Shack deal today and bought a new one.

I made a nandroid backup a couple days ago...If I flash a custom recovery and restore that backup to my new phone will that work? Also, should I go through the whole activation process first(assuming that would work)?

It's the same phone right? If so, I would just activate your new one. Root, and restore your backup and as far as I know, everything should be exactly as it was...

Reactions: Coach56
Upvote 0
Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yes, my old phone is an EVO V also.

I've never had the opportunity to restore to a new device but I really don't see why it won't work. I mean heck, you could probably restore someone else's evo v backup to your phone even.

The only way I could see you running into any problems is if you changed hboots and you were using a rom that required a different hboot than the stock one. Then you would need to get on the correct hboot before restoring your backup.

Reactions: Coach56
Upvote 0
I've never had the opportunity to restore to a new device but I really don't see why it won't work. I mean heck, you could probably restore someone else's evo v backup to your phone even.
I've restored nandroids from one phone to another successfully before.

The only thing to be careful about is the WiMax backup. The keys are unique to each phone and won't work if moved to another device.

I know 4EXT backs up the WiMax partition by default if you just do a backup from the recovery, but I'm not sure how it handles the restore. The safest thing would be to start the restore from the 4EXT app and deselect the WiMax partition or delete the WiMax portion of the backup.

You might even be OK just restoring as 4EXT (or another recovery) may recognize that it's a different phone and not restore WiMax, but it's something to consider anyway.

ramjet73

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
I've restored nandroids from one phone to another successfully before.

The only thing to be careful about is the WiMax backup. The keys are unique to each phone and won't work if moved to another device.

I know 4EXT backs up the WiMax partition by default if you just do a backup from the recovery, but I'm not sure how it handles the restore. The safest thing would be to start the restore from the 4EXT app and deselect the WiMax partition or delete the WiMax portion of the backup.

You might even be OK just restoring as 4EXT (or another recovery) may recognize that it's a different phone and not restore WiMax, but it's something to consider anyway.

ramjet73

I'm thinking that it knows not to restore wimax, but can't be 100% sure on this. I've noticed when restoring, it will say something like: "based on your selection I am restoring..." and it will list the ones it chooses to restore based on what you picked. It seems like it usually skips wimax (if I recall correctly) when I'm restoring a nandroid.

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
The lady at Radio Shack said if I activate the new one I wouldn't be able to return it. Anyone know if that's true? I still have an old Optimus V I could reactivate for a couple of days. I know I'd be paying for a full month without needing it that long, but I really feel weird not having a phone right now.

Upvote 0
The lady at Radio Shack said if I activate the new one I wouldn't be able to return it. Anyone know if that's true? I still have an old Optimus V I could reactivate for a couple of days. I know I'd be paying for a full month without needing it that long, but I really feel weird not having a phone right now.

The lady needs retraining

Upvote 0
You could of called virgin mobile to get a free replacement...

He dropped the phone, not exactly covered by a manufacturer warranty against defects, and yes definitely activate the phone first to save headaches later, VM has had issues in the past activating the phone so being completely stock will help if you do run into any problems, once your up and running you should take the ota and then jump into rooting and romming. Good luck and let us know how you make out. :p
OB

Upvote 0
All VM cares about is getting their phone back, so they can fix it and send it to somebody else. Better than buying a new phone. Simply state to VM that your phone is not turning on, simple as that. Then they will try to fix it over the phone, and when they can't then they'll send you a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
No matter how you word it and try to justify it by saying that all VM wants is the broken, NOT defective phone back it's still fraudulent, while he could probably get away with it there's no free lunch. All of their operating expenses get passed on, also it can make it more difficult for us to get replacements in the future, Virgin is the only carrier that I'm aware of that doesn't require either the defective device first or your credit card number before cross shipping the replacement, even if it wasn't physically damaged but screwed up because you flashed something that you shouldn't have, it still means that "YOU" broke the phone. Being able to get away with something doesn't make it right. :rolleyes:
OB

Reactions: xstefen
Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile 1 year warranty covers everything except theft or loss. Now if your phone stops working, virgin mobile is willing to give you a new device, as long you as you are able to return your old phone. In his situation he stated his phone stopped working because he dropped it, not because he flashed something he shouldn't; virgin mobile covers this, you can even call them yourself and ask. There is nothing fradulant in that situation, but to be FAIR, technically none of us should be allowed a warranty replacement since we all have rooted our phone; that in my opinio is BS. As long the user didn't mess up his phone because of anything root related, he should be allowed a replacement, and OP of this thread deserves a replacement phone.

Upvote 0
No the warranty covers manufacturer defects, not physical damage whether hardware or software, as for rooting, nowhere does it say that your warranty is null and void, the only issue would be if you derped the phone while rooting, that's why the htcdev site states that unlocking MAY void your warranty, all of my phones returned for replacement were rooted and Virgin was aware of this, they were returned for hardware defects, mostly having to do with the Triumphs camera, not because I screwed them up. Right in the thin manual that comes with the phone it states that accidents aren't covered, if you honestly tell VM that you dropped it and they replace it that's fine, saying that it stopped working isn't . :rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
No the warranty covers manufacturer defects, not physical damage whether hardware or software. Right in the thin manual that comes with the phone it states that accidents aren't covered, if you honestly tell VM that you dropped it and they replace it that's fine, saying that it stopped working isn't . :rolleyes:
OB

Your actually kinda right on that, the warranty do state accidents aren't covered, but in all fairness VM will replace your phone any who even though it was a accident and not just manufacture defect. You don't even have to hide any part of the truth or lie, you can tell them that the phone dropped and they will be perfectly fine with it as long as you send the phone back. So is the OP REALLY being fraudulent or is VM going against their own warranty. And if you tell VM your phone stopped working, their going to ask what happen before it stopped working so their still going find out you dropped it unless you lie(which i never told you to do). In any situation, I still have to say, I love virgin mobile. For a prepaid, it has decent phones, nice prices, and a nice android community. All we're missing is 4g(for all/most customers, not just ten percent).

Upvote 0
Hey, I've had exceptionally great service with VM when it comes to replacements, when I was having all of my camera troubles with the Triumph I actually had 4 of them sitting on my dresser at one point. With tech support it's hit or miss but warranty replacement is a breeze, if you tell them the truth and then they replace it, great, I just have issues with adults who break things whether by rooting or physical damage and trying to scam the system, all that ends up doing is screwing it for legitimate users with issues. Every other carrier that I've dealt with either needed the defective device first or your credit card number before cross shipping. Same with people who want to tether so that they can replace their home Internet for free. Just makes companies that are doing something special for us rethink their policies. :mad:
OB
P.S. I am fortunate enough to get 4G in my basement media room, that's why I'm in no great hurry to get an LTE phone when there's no coverage here. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones