1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root New Phone Rooted - App issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KyleMoher, May 10, 2011.

1. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I previously had an HTC Hero, rooted and unlocked. It was a Telus phone and I was using Rogers. Phone worked great. Was running and older version of VillainROM. Three days ago the phone was run over. :'(

I looked around on Kijiji to find this "new" phone (Previously owned, but new to me). Went out, met the guy, purchased it, and to my surprise it was already rooted (I knew it was already unlocked). Here's the "About phone" info:

Android Version: 2.2.1
    Baseband Version: 61.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26
    Kernal Version: 2.6.29.6Villian-Fly-Flykernal-11c
    pulser@new #2
    Mod Version: FroydVillain1.7.1
    Build number: FRG83

Phone appears to run great. However I've noticed two issues which I'm finding annoying. The first is that I'm used to my old keyboard set up from the old Hero where I could hold a key to get a number. For example, holding q would give me a 1 along with some other symbols. This keyboard doesn't have that. I've restored to factory default in hopes that it was a fix, but nope. I've got to press a 123 button the bottom left corner to get to symbols and/or numbers. Is there a fix to this where I can have my old style HTC Hero keyboard?

The second issue is with installing apps/syncing. Installing apps from the market works fine. The issue is when I try installing them from my PC. When I connect the phone to my PC it automatically charges. It does not ask me what I'd like done, even though I've not selected a default action. No problem I think to myself. So I go to settings to change the default on my own... Except there's no "Connect to pc" thing under settings anymore.

If anyone could help with EITHER of these issues, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

**Edit**
    I have no idea who this phone came from either. On my previous one, the box said "Telus" so I knew it was from Telus. This box does not have any company's name on it, so I'm lost as to who this phone came from in terms of phone providers. If anyone knows how I could find that out as well, thanks again.

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I'm guessing before you were running a rom with HTC sense? That's why you had a different keyboard, and why you can't install apps via USB. (You should still see the option to mount the sdcard when you plug it in via USB though).

Apps can be installed using file managers such as Astro, from the market. You just pop the apk on the sdcard and find it and open it with the file manager.

As for the keyboard, there are lots out there, but if you Google 'HTC_IME XDA' you'll find the top result is one that's the same as the stock HTC one. You want the low res version for 1.6 upwards.

Edit: Telus is a Canadian phone network that sell the hero.

KyleMoher likes this.
  3. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    If an older version of VillainROM had HTC Sense then I believe I was. I see nothing what-so-ever when it comes to plugging the cable in other than that the phone is charging. I'm currently looking to try and find my old cable just to ensure that this isn't just a charge cable.

I completely forgot about Astro, thanks!

I'm aware that Telus sells them. I'm just not aware of who the provider is by this phone. Not that it really matters, but should there not be a cell provider's name on the box?

Thank you for the help thus far! :)

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I'm not Canadian, but as far as I'm aware Telus is the network provider, not just somebody who sells the phone.

5. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Alright, thank you.

Also, it appears that it was just the cord, for whatever reason it would not transmit data but just charge the phone.

Thank you for the help. You managed to resolve my issues MUCH faster than I expected. :)

***Edit***
    A new issue has arisen - I attempted running the HTC_IME mod, however I don't have an "install" option like I normally do when installing APK files from the SD card. I'm left with "uninstall" and "launch". When I attempt "launch", it informs me the activity is not found.

***Second Edit***

From what I can see, it's already on here. When I go to "Language and keyboard settings" I have something for HTC_IME mod here. I've tinkered with it yet cannot manage to have it revert to the old style.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    From your first post it sounds like you're got the stock froyo keyboard enabled. If you go to settings >> languages and keyboard and make sure that htc_ime is ticked to enable it, then find any text box and press and hold on it, you should see a list of options pop up. One should be Choose Input Method, where you need to pick HTC_ime.

KyleMoher likes this.
  7. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Everything worked fine up until I went to type. When I pressed on the bar that said "Type to compose" I now get an error stating "The application HTC_IME mod (process jonasl.ime) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

No matter how many times I try, I still get this. I've tried rebooting and everything.

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Now that you have the apk, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard.

At least we figured out why the seller was using the stock keyboard now :p

KyleMoher likes this.
  9. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I attempted uninstalling/reinstalling... Same issue. I attempted it with the 3 other downloads on that page as well (2 more high res and 1 other low res), same issue with all of them. :(

10. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Is the clicker.apk also present? You need that too.

11. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I've tried with all four, including and excluding the clicker.apk. Nothing had it work properly :(

***Edit***
    I tried removing some system apps - Bad idea. I had a black screen minus my status bar and could not do ANYTHING other than shut the phone down.

Panicking, I put it into recovery and wiped it, hoping that the previous user left his files on the memory card. I restored NAND... it booted...

And now IME_Mod works flawlessly. Any idea what the issue could have been?

12. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Could be anything. Its usually a setting, or data from an app or system app that is incompatible or corrupt.

KyleMoher likes this.
  13. KyleMoher

KyleMoher Newbie
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    Okay, sounds good.

I've noticed now that whenever I "Restore to Factory Defaults" instead of simply restoring, it brings me to the recovery. If I tell it to reboot, without doing anything, it will load like it should. Is there a reason for this? You guys have been so helpful :)

14. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    It's probably because the stock recovery has been replaced by a custom one with the added root functionality, and the "Factory default" script (or whatever) can't complete. It's not a problem though, as there will be a "wipe data" or "factory reset" option in the enhanced recovery menu anyway.

Note: this is pure conjecture on my part as I've never used the built-in option with a custom recovery installed. Force of habit I guess.... I instinctively boot to recovery.

KyleMoher likes this.
  15. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    I can confirm this on my HTC desire.

Slug likes this.
Tags: