• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Phone - Security Sealed?

kevvyb2019

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
Hi

I have just received a supposedly new S21. Before I open it, it is usual to see two security labels stuck one over the other on each side? Is this a phone that has not been out of the box?

Attachments

• Inked20220330_220014_LI.jpg
    Inked20220330_220014_LI.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 94
You are too trusting. There is clearly a new security lable stuck over the original one. AO.com have confirmed to me that they have opened the box and resealed. Apparently this was to install UK software. Obviously a batch of phones that were originally meant for another market?

When I opened the box I peeeld off the labels and sure enough, the one underneath had been very neatly cut.

Upvote 0
You are too trusting. There is clearly a new security lable stuck over the original one. AO.com have confirmed to me that they have opened the box and resealed.

Who exactly are this "AO.com"? Are they an authorized Samsung dealer?

Apparently this was to install UK software. Obviously a batch of phones that were originally meant for another market?

When I opened the box I peeeld off the labels and sure enough, the one underneath had been very neatly cut.

That very much sounds like they're selling grey imports. These are often originally intended for the Hong Kong, and SE Asia market. Suggest you check warranty validity, because Samsung Service sometimes doesn't honour warranty on grey imported devices.

I've always bought new phones from authorized dealers, like Samsung and Huawei, and the boxes have always had the original security stickers intact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That very much sounds like they're selling grey imports. These are often originally intended for the Hong Kong, and SE Asia market. Suggest you check warranty validity, because Samsung Service sometimes doesn't honour warranty on grey imported devices.

I've always bought new phones from authorized dealers, like Samsung and Huawei, and the boxes have always had the original security stickers intact.
https://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/

Upvote 0

I've heard of Mobile Phones Direct, but never had any dealings with them myself, as I'm not currently in the UK. But given what's been said about them installing UK software, and "other market", I do think it might be a grey import. Presumably the warranty will be handled by this company, and not Samsung directly.

Did the box have anything like this on it? Because AFAIK Samsung uses a region lock on some devices for SIM activations, to try and deter the grey market trade.
Region-Label-640x353.jpg

I bought a new Samsung last year, directly from a local Samsung showroom. And the box was actually sealed in Samsung security hologrammed shrink wrap, not stickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
AO are a UK electrical goods retailer. The name "mobilephonesdirect" has been around longer than I've been aware of the AO brand, so may have been bought by them at some point (can't be sure).

There's nothing on their web page for the s21 that tells you they are selling grey imports, though I also did not see the words "UK stock" anywhere on the page. A little sketchy not to mention if it's an import, though there was always a lot of that (and of course with there being no charger in the box it makes less difference).

My UK model s21 came with a couple of stickers like that, but just one set ;). The environmental information on the back was broadly similar, but with an extra "UKCA" logo and less multi-lingual text above it as I recall.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Apparently this was to install UK software. Obviously a batch of phones that were originally meant for another market?
In Settings > About phone > Software information... what are the, "Build number", and, "Service provider software version". (see screenshot)

NJXXNvom.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones