1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New phone syncing to my tablet!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by walksabout, Jan 6, 2012.

1. walksabout

walksabout Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forums to post this in, but I have a new nexus so I'll give it a shot.

I fired up my new phone, logged in, and all was going great except that I was running into a problem with gmail/contacts not syncing. There were lots of posts around saying the easiest thing to do was to wipe the phone and start over, and since the phone was brand new that's what I did.

So then, I fired up my new phone again, logged in again - only now, instead of syncing to my old phone and restoring all the settings from there it decided to sync to my android tablet! Which I really, really don't want. Is there anyway of telling a phone which device it should sync with?

Advertisement

2. bezerk19

bezerk19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    QA Analyst
    San Antonio, TX
    I think by default it will configure your gmail account to sync. When entering your gmail account on your phone and/or tablet you can configure it NOT to sync. If you don't want anything synced on your tablet then wipe it, reconnect with your gmail account and make sure you select what not to sync.

Another option is just have two gmails, one for your phone and another for your tablet. The only draw back here is that apps that you purchase on your phone/tablet won't show up in your account (so you won't be able to install them on both devices unless you pay twice).

I have a xoom and a Nexus and both are synced without any issues. its actually quite nice to have everything sync up.

3. walksabout

walksabout Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    thanks for the reply, Bezerk. The problem is slightly different from what you described: I agree that having gmail and so on in sync on all the devices is great. The problem is that my phone and my tablet both had their apps and application settings backed up to my gmail account. When I first synced my new phone, it automatically reinstalled all my old phone's apps and settings - which was wonderful! - the second time I tried, it installed my tablet's apps and settings - not so good! When I look at my google account in my desktop browser, I can see all three devices (old and new phones, and tablet), but I can't indicate which ones should use the same settings.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post.

4. bezerk19

bezerk19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    QA Analyst
    San Antonio, TX
    Ah! Now i see your problem. Well Its been a while since I've done it, but wasn't there an option for auto download and/or restore? I believe this option is there to avoid the problem you are experiencing. Why not give it another wipe and see if that option is there.

5. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    wow that is bizarre. what you can do is, when you factory reset your phone and it starts to load your tablet apps, stop it from installing them. i think probably at this point, the memory of what you had on your phone is lost (it always has been for me once i don't let it auto add my apps back to my device, be it my tablet or phone).

this way, at least, it won't put your tablet apps back on your phone and you will be able to start truly fresh again.

6. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Actually during the initial setup just uncheck the option to automatically restore to this device.

7. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    No, he wants them to automatically restore. He just wants his phone apps to restore, rather than the tablet ones.

I don't know any way to do this. There may be one, I just don't know it. As far as I understand it, the tablet and phone step on each other. Honestly, I don't really know too much about it since everything I have is rooted and backed up. That takes care of the problem for me, so never looked into it further.

8. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    My tablet and phone have never stepped on each other. I'm not sure why it's working this way for the OP.

Tags: