1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support New photo's will not display

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by johnandmon, Sep 17, 2011.

1. johnandmon

johnandmon Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Hi Folks,

I recently replaced my 8GB micro SD card with a 32GB one. I took some photos and all was well. However, all recent photos (show up the image normally as I take them) when viewed in the Gallery show a grey rectangle with a grey exclamation mark. :thinking:
    I transferred to PC and, although the files are 'jpeg', when opened they display "Photo Gallery cannot open this picture or video. This file format is not supported, or you dont have the latest updates to photo gallery." :thinking:

Although not great technically, I had information that suggested the files were 'RAW' files (dont know what that is) so downloaded something that allows the reading of such a file type, but to no avail. :(

I have also tried a deleted file recovery tool, but of course the files are not deleted. :(

Photos taken up to the day this started happening are all as normal.

Has anybody had and resolved such an issue? :thinking:

The photos are from our grandsons 18th and are understandably precious but I fear the worst. :mad:

Many thanks for any support, pointers or reality checks that you can provide. :p

Advertisement

2. johnandmon

johnandmon Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Reset settings to default in camera mode and took a new picture - it looks fine.
    Checked the 'details' for good pic and bad one. The difference is that the bad one has a resolution showing -1x-1.

Perhaps this information will trigger knowledge in this forum?

Thanks again

3. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    is your new card genuine? what make? did you get it off ebay?

johnandmon likes this.
  4. johnandmon

johnandmon Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Yes, the card was bought on ebay from a seller with recent 100% feedback on all transactions including plenty for micro SD card sales. There is no 'make' on the card packaging or card.

I have reported the problem to the seller.

Today ALL photos on the card now show a black image in the gallery and when clicked on cannot be viewed. Many of the photos were taken before use of this card (but transferred to from previous 8GB card).

I have tried to upload an example file as an attachment to this message but it returns 'not a valid image file'

Thanks
    John

5. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    Im sure you have a fake. Thats why your pics no longer show up. You probably got no room left on card. Ive a hunch its only 2gb.

johnandmon likes this.
  6. johnandmon

johnandmon Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    Hi Shauny 13 - I have a disk usage app which states that the card 'free space' is 28898MB. The photos in question total 169.5 MB

I tested the card on line and it gave a write speed of around 6.2

I appreciate the fact that you commented on my issue

Thanks again
    John

7. johnandmon

johnandmon Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    All the apps have disappeared from the problem SD card now.

I have contacted the ebay seller who was surprised and sorry as he has had no other complaints (feedback does back this up). But he has failed to offer any solution, replacement or refund. I have followed up with a request for him to do exactly that.

I'm assuming now I'll have to go through the process of a refund through ebay. I'm realising that the photos are probably gone forever.

I hope my story at least helps someone in the future who has a similar problem - the worst bit about it has been the difficulty in finding somebody who has had the same thing go wrong....and not quite knowing what to search a forum for, or what question to ask!

There is an amount of perceived reassurance when somoeone else has had the same problem - not least that they have often diagnosed and resolved the root cause.

I'd still appreciate any additional information that might help others in the future.

At the moment my old 8GB card is back in favour.

8. fataltrash

fataltrash Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    I have had the exact same picture problem today but my card is the original 8gb one that came with it. The phone has also been sluggy through the screens and camera has frozen a few times. check my other thing about software update last few months. No voicemail on speed dial 1 and stuff. these touch screen HTniC phones suck donkey balls. I'm off back to a buttoned Nokia with decent battery life and no faults.

9. sdr83

sdr83 Lurker
    None

Feb 12, 2012
    Same problem here. Couple of weeks ago it started with only 1 picture. I thought it was just a coincidence. Now I've lost 20 pics...bugger.
    Also happened with a card bought on ebay, 32gb, class 10. I guess I'll try to get a new one.

Thx for all the info though, I now know that there's nothing wrong with my HTC, it's a start! :)

Tags: