1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

New Play Store 5.0.31 apk

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Brian706, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Awwww yiss. Download the new Play Store HERE!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

I wonder if this is the fix for Google music app . :eek::D

3. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!
    Moderator Thread Starter

I think play music is a separate app; though I don't use it. Or was there an issue between the play store and play music? Not heard of any issues.. :dontknow:

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  4. Thanks for sharing this, I just hope I have enough phone memory for this upgrade.

5. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Extreme Android User

OK so what is new? no one is mentioning the changes and I have this policy against clicking links before knowing what the big deal is.

6. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!
    Moderator Thread Starter

It's not a direct download. Changes are explained at the link I provided. :) From there, you'll have the option to download.

Not that it really matters anyway as the update will make it to your device eventually, this is for people that just don't want to wait.

You'll see a new icon. New widget icons. What's new has moved to the top of the description. Some color changes. Nothingn huge, all the google apps are gearing up for Android L.

7. nickdalzell

if you're talking about the material design makeover that's been out for a long time now and was already preloaded in my LG G3.

But I don't click on links until I know where they lead to. your OP didn't tell me that.

8. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Your g3 did not come with this version of the play store. It was just released. They just started rolling it out.

There are a couple of simple things you can do to see where a link goes...

One being right click the link and copy link location. Paste that anywhere.

Also you can simply hover over the link and look at the bottom left of your browser (at least in Firefox) to see where the link goes.

I know that Firefox also allows you to not automatically load redirects. IE if you click on a link and tries going to a non specified page, it will make you confirm whether or not you want to allow it to load that page.

thirstypirate and Mikestony like this.
  9. nickdalzell

I'm using a Win8 laptop with IE. it's either click the link and risk a virus or ask the person who posted it (which I did.) I am not a fan of multiple browsers on a machine as it's redundant and I like the Metro UI browser implementation better as it's entirely full-screen. I refuse to use Firefox due to its nature of closing itself and saying 'Sorry, but Firefox has crashed' when all i'm doing is sitting there reading a webpage, not loading anything.

But what you described seems like the version of Play Store I already have. I admit I hardly use Play due to the many issues it's had from the get-go but when I do use it I noticed it already has what you described, including the Android L look, as well as the what's new at the top.

10. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!
    Moderator Thread Starter

Maybe you do have it, Nick?

The version I linked to is 5.0.31. I suppose the simplest way to know would be to open your play store app, go to settings and look at the build version at the bottom.

11. nickdalzell

Actually I didn't have it, I did have 5.0.something though. Other than the app icon changing, the notification icon for updated or installed apps being a bit different the store feels the same as before.

They did give a Material Design overhaul to Newsstand however.

12. mikedt

mikedt 你好

How often does one read or hear that, "IE" and "virus" in the same sentence. LOL. Myself, I just don't have anything to do with MS if I can help it. I use Bing sometimes, but that's about it.

13. nickdalzell

Actually the Windows 8 version of IE is pretty good. The only thing left of the hacker friendly original IE is the name and icon.

14. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Extreme Android User

Wow I just discovered I am living under a ROCK. This talk about play store updates got me I was thinking that it was a problem with Google music . I did some research and found it was a problem and it still is a problem. But my concern is that the play store needed the update we all can see but when was the last time your device got the real play services updates. I went to this URL and was schooled o yeah I was living under a rock didn't know about some of these updates and upgrades.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...-google-settings-icon-ui-tweaks-apk-download/

And I then went to see the breakdown from here

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...ers-renames-personal-unlocking-to-smart-lock/

I am loving this smart lock option when it comes out.