• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Pope thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to us Scots.... He wasn't Scottish, here was/is Irish....just worked over here!

Oh yeah!

Forgot about that .. sorry!

Evidently the church would rather never be asked questions

One of the cardinals was on the news the other night banging on about the catholic church's "infallibility".

He must be a front runner: that's truly taking hypocrisy to a whole new level.

Upvote 0
Fixed it for you.

There is a running joke that Argentinians are the 'white Europeans' of South America.

'What did the Argentinian man say to his girlfriend while on holidays in Italy - Wow, everyone here has an Argentinian surname!'

Pope Francis himself, is descended for Italians (2nd generation I believe).

(And I hope I don't have to point out that he is indeed South American :) )

Upvote 0
Yet another anti LGBT, anti contraceptive dinosaur. But we're supposed to scream in ecstasy because he's not from Europe??? Sorry, it's going to be the same unthinking, unreasoning, unwavering religious dogma BS that it always was.

If you thought you were going to get a pro-lgbt Pope you are crazy. That had no chance of happening. I had hopes we would get a Pope with an enlightened view on contraception though.

Upvote 0
If you thought you were going to get a pro-lgbt Pope you are crazy. That had no chance of happening. I had hopes we would get a Pope with an enlightened view on contraception though.

Oh I didn't think it would happen now. But someday it will. It has to. Churches change their laws all the time to stay relevant in society. They usually pretend like it's some miraculous revelation from god, but really it's just an attempt to stay relevant so they don't keep losing members.

Like the Mormon church deciding to allow African Americans into the priesthood in the 70s. But their congregation is supposed to believe that their god, who apparently had hated black people since the beginning of time just whispered to their "prophet" and was like "oops, turns out I was wrong about the blacks, they're alright! Go ahead and let them in."

Society is becoming more accepting of the LGBT community at an exponential rate. Some day these churches are going to have to change their stance or they will fade away and die. Personally I don't have a problem with that at all, I think society would be better off without religion of any kind. But we shall see.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Bizarre, but very democratic. For a religion based on a man who is known as the King of all Men, it's very democratic indeed. And that is bizarre...

To be fair, only that delegation of cardinals is allowed to vote. If the people were allowed to vote, then it would truly be democratic and they would get a leader the people actually wanted to follow.

Upvote 0
To be fair, only that delegation of cardinals is allowed to vote. If the people were allowed to vote, then it would truly be democratic and they would get a leader the people actually wanted to follow.
The thing is that the Catholic Church is a top-down organization. They claim to have the sole franchise on God here on earth. In that respect they're more like a large corporation than a government. Their followers are just like consumers of other big-name products. The consumer only gets to vote with their feet.

The Papal Conclave is just another Board of Directors meeting to elect a new CEO.

Upvote 0
The thing is that the Catholic Church is a top-down organization. They claim to have the sole franchise on God here on earth. In that respect they're more like a large corporation than a government. Their followers are just like consumers of other big-name products. The consumer only gets to vote with their feet.

The Papal Conclave is just another Board of Directors meeting to elect a new CEO.

True.

Upvote 0
I find it fascinating to see a process unfold in real time that has been in use since medieval times. It's a way to connect to history IMO.

It's pretty interesting.

New Pope is Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina. He is the first Jesuit Pope, first non-European Pope and is taking the name Pope Francis I making him just the second Pope to use I following his name.

Who was the first? It was John Paul I, I think, but I'm not sure.

Oh good, a White European pope.

We did it guys!
Fixed it for you.

To be fair his father was Italian.

They claim to have the sole franchise on God here on earth.

As do the Methodists, Jews, Muslims, and every other religion.

Upvote 0
Well your guarantee is no good. He did come from the Americus. Remember, the US does not represent all of America! :smokingsomb:
There's a lot being made of the fact that he's the first from the Western hemisphere, the first from the Southern hemisphere, the first from the New World etc. But he's an ethnic Italian whose parents came from Italy, not Hispanic.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Upvote 0
There's a lot being made of the fact that he's the first from the Western hemisphere, the first from the Southern hemisphere, the first from the New World etc. But he's an ethnic Italian whose parents came from Italy, not Hispanic.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

He was born and raised and has worked his life in Argentina though hasn't he? My parents are Chinese, but I was born and raised here in the US. Ethnically I might be Chinese, but culturally I am American.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones